Mites? Dry skin? what? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shelbythehedgehog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Mites? Dry skin? what?

Hi, my little hedgie is 13months old now and I know this winter her skin was very dry and she would scratch herself a bit, I tried to help her as much as possible and noticed it was getting a little better. But now, in the past week I've found about a dozen of her quills around her cage and she's been scratching more often I found. She doesn't have a bald spot or anything that I can tell and hasn't had any attitude/behavious changes (still as curious and pain in the butt as usual ), no redness or anything I can find. I'm pretty certain it's not mites since there's no scenario that I can see her getting them from. I have no other pets, never brought her outside yet (still snow out ), she has fleece bedding which I wash every other day with non scented soap and a some vinigar and I feed her cat food which means they couldn't have come from her bedding. How would I check for mites? what do they look like?

Any chance it's quilling? even at 13months old?? I picked her up today with a fleece blanket and lost a quill in it, and even when she was walking around she lost another... it seems to be getting worst with the quills.

Help!! I'm really worried and starting to think of brigning her to the vet but also nervous to do that since I live in a tiny town (Timmins, Ontario) and only have 2 vets in town who don't have much experience with hedgies. Should I bring her? What should I watch out for at the vet?
valp162 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Give her an oatmeal bath, and if that doesn't work, I'd go to the vet. It's usual for a hedgehog to still be quilling at 6-7 months, but 13 months is a little old. Check the Mites section if you haven't already. It has the type of medicine that they should and shouldn't have. I can't remember what it's called though! There's a sticky that says the names of the medicine.

If your worried it's mites, take a black cloth and run it down her back and if there's little white bugs, then take her to the vet. She would also have orange stuff at the base of the quills. Her ears will also be crusty and I don't know how to explain the rest. If you need anymore help contact Lilysmommy. She is really good help! Otherwise, good luck!
valp162 likes this.

shelbythehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dry skin, mites, mites?, quill loss, sick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in