Dry Skin, Frequent Quill Loss, BALDING! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Dry Skin, Frequent Quill Loss, BALDING!

I've had Gris since December 23rd.

His breeder told me he began quilling the night before I went to pick him up.
At first the quilling was scarce, we didn't see a quill fall for a couple weeks.
Then it began to happen quite frequently so I assumed he was just quilling.
Couple more weeks later he began having intense dry skin, large and small flakes would fall off like snow. After trying all the dry skin remedies at home, we took Gris to the vet (Jan 22nd) and that experience wasn't great. She gave us Revolution (possible mites) and an antibiotic (possible skin infection?) but was not able to get a skin scraping done because Gris' unwillingness to unball around her (which I didn't blame him after she pulled on his quills). She gave us 2 doses of Revolution and told us to use it once a month, which after reading the doses spoke of on here worries me. So he got an entire dose in one sitting. He has been getting the antibiotic orally twice a day. The dry skin is still there, not falling as badly, but looking at his skin looks very crusty including crusts around the quills at their base. He has lost so many quills (not all in a day but total) that he is really balding. Some of the quills have the buib at the end and others don't so I don't know what to think. The balding is really starting to scare me and I don't know what else to do besides wait to see if the medicine will work.

He eats/drinks normally, poops/pee normally, exercises and plays every night as normal. We have been trying to get him to eat fruits and veggies, though he rarely likes anything other than mealies and his food, but we try anyway (And nothing he shouldn't be eating. Raspberries, Celery, Banana, Blueberries, cilantro, Kiwi, and cucumber - So far he only liked the raspberries.)

The bald patches seem to be toward the back of his body. And I am not seeing quills growing back in which is quite frightening.

I'm very scared and I feel super helpless. Any help I can get will be appreciated greatly. The more I read the more I worry because I never find my answers, just posts that say stuff like "If the quills are growing back it's fine" or "There is no crust when the quills fall out" and that is my situation so please please help!

Clark Gris Griswold | DOB 10.1.13 | OURS 12.23.13
KatandGris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would take him back (perhaps to a new vet?) and see if you can get a skin scraping done. I would think the vet should still be able to do that just fine even if he's balled up - especially now that there's even more skin showing. Have the scraping cultured...I'm wondering if it's really a fungal infection, which would require anti-fungal medication, not antibiotics. It might still be a bacterial infection that just needs a different type of antibiotics...but a scraping & culture should be able to figure out what's going on and what exactly to treat him with. If the antibiotics were going to help, he would've started showing some kind of improvement by now, I think, and if it were mites (and I could be wrong on this), you'd still see some improvement, I would imagine? At least a decrease in the crustiness, etc. though it's likely too early for quill growth. Is he scratching at all or was he scratching before you took him in the first time? The bulbs on the ends of the quills don't mean anything regarding mites or not - the bulb can be there in either scenario.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

He scratches every once in a while but it seems too rare for him to have mites. I plan on switching Vets regardless because she just did not make me comfortable with her "knowledge" of hedgehogs even though supposedly she deals with them. The only improvements I've seen is the dry skin isn't falling off of him as much as it was. I hope to all that is good that this new Vet works out better because there are literally only a couple around me that take exotics. :/

Clark Gris Griswold | DOB 10.1.13 | OURS 12.23.13
KatandGris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

My little boy sparky is having the EXact same issue and looks Exactually the same a few weeks ago as yours. In a few days he gets his last revolution. Mine didnt have anything come up on fungal or infection. Hes still loosing alot but is now growing more back so its looking hopeful
darkpollopesca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
balding, quill loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in