Quilling? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quilling?

I have a male hedgehog that is approximately 7-8 weeks old. I know quilling happens at this age but when I went to play with him today there were quills EVERYWHERE! He has been losing a few quills a day (usually 5-10) but today when I went to get him they were all over! I'm worried he's losing too many, or maybe I'm just being a worry wart. Also I've just noticed he's been scratching a little bit. Either way I would like some info.
Thanks,
Sknapp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (326.1 KB, 18 views)
sknapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

My hedgehog is quilling right now as well so I know how you feel! Have you noticed any new quills coming in and are you putting oil on your hedgies back? Dry skin alone can cause quill loss. You should look at your hedgehogs back because this much quill loss could be mites. Just make sure that there are new quills coming in.
Bentley19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't seen it before, this is a lovely care guide.

Sknapp: sounds like you're in full quiling misery! Different hedgehogs do things differently -- some have intense bursts, others do endless light waves of quill-loss. Do you see new ones growing in? As long as he isn't developing bald spots, and you can still see new quills growing in, he's just being very exuberant in his quilling.

My little guy had mites while quiling, and it probably took me longer than it should have to figure out that something was wrong. The real hint for me is that he went from idly scratching a little bit (like waking up and casually rearranging his quills) to having frequent bursts of intense, frantic scratching.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
quill loss, quilling, quills

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in