Help!! Major quill problems! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help!! Major quill problems!

I just got my first hedgie, and when I went to pick him up from the breeder I noticed he had some stuff stuck in his quills. It looked like some gunk that would come out after a good soak in a bath. But it's been two days now and it's getting so much worse! It's pulling his quills out and it is still hard as a rock! His little face also had a bump above his eye, and now his face is bald below it and the quills are not synchronizing with the rest on his face. I don't know if this is as bad as it looks, or what I should do about it. The actual breeder wasn't able to be at the house when I had time to go pick him up, so I was having to ask her husband all my questions. He took pictures to show his wife, and when she got home she called me and said she didn't think it was anything to worry about. But tonight it looks like it's starting to bleed and I just feel so sad for the little guy. He has the greatest personality, so I don't want to trade the breeder unless it's the absolute last resort, I just want to get him better!
Any suggestions?? HELP!!
Here are some pictures of his quills and his lil face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (173.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (85.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (95.4 KB, 21 views)
Lins_kinz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Your hedgehog needs to see a veterinarian for treatment. That wound and swelling looks bad, and since you said it has gotten much worse very quickly, I would get him in to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. He may have gotten bitten by his mother or sibling, he may have a fungal infection, a bacterial problem, or some other issue going on. We can only speculate as to what is causing the problem, but I can tell you it needs medical treatment. And a veterinarian is the only one qualified to determine the correct medical approach.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in