Is she quilling or is she sick? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Is she quilling or is she sick?

I have a 4 month old hedgie who I've had for a week. I have two hedgies. My other is about 6 months old or so. Her name is Penelope. We took both girls to the vet for a general checkup about 5 days ago. Maya, my 4 month old hedgie, was healthy and happy (other than a little bit of waxy ears that the vet took care of). She is a very happy, active and playful hedgehog. Penelope on the other hand had a slight bacteria in her poop. She got medicine and she's back to herself again. I can't remember what the bacteria was called but it made her sleepy, grumpy and she didn't want to eat or drink. She was contagious so we kept them apart and washed hands between touching to make sure Maya didn't get what Penelope had. Maya is young so when we got her, the breeder said she was going to start quilling soon and she told us what to expect. Well, today she lost 3 quills (doesn't sound like a lot but it scared me). She's also been a little grumpy. Normal quilling behavior from what I've read but she started getting diarrhea. I have been talking to her breeder about it but I wanted a couple more opinions. Should I take her to the vet?

FYI- she's eating and drinking normally BUT I switched her food. She was eating kitten food so I started mixing in adult cat food and today she was fully on adult food and started getting diarrhea. So could it be the food?
kara2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How quickly did you switch the food? Is the poop just a bit loose or is it very liquidy? Fast food changes usually just cause green poop, not usually diarrhea (as far as I know). Personally I'd see if you can take a fecal sample up to the vet to have it tested. It shouldn't be too expensive to do just the test without needing a hedgehog exam with it. Make sure she drinks plenty and stays hydrated - the biggest concern with diarrhea is dehydration.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum! Here's a hedgehog care-book.

Considering you were already treating a nearby hedgehog for fecal issues, it's worth calling the vet and getting their opinion.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

It was liquidy two times she went then after that it's gone back to normal but it is a little lose and it's been going back to normal. We took about a week to switch her food. We did 25% new then 50% new. Just taking it slow. She's been eating and drinking the normal amount.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Any chance one of the foods is Wellness brand? Some hedgehogs have loose poops associated with it...
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe it is the new food? Not sure though. I would get with a Vet.

I hope she feels better. Make sure to check if she is eating and drinking normally. It's very important.
Chloethehedgie7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Her poop is back to normal now so maybe it was just the food. The food was Purina I think. Her breeder sent it home with her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in