Grouchy quilling boy or attachment problems? Help - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Heh, we've all used the forum for an outlet for new-mom panic! I'm glad that your vet was willing to do a phone consult and that you guys have a new game plan. Fingers and toes are all crossed that this new treatment helps poor Rory out. I can't wait to see a good update!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default Looking promising!

Hello friends! Quick update on Rory:

Been on Clavamox for a few days now: Things are looking really promising. Knock on wood, because I said the same thing with the Baytril. But he's clearly happier and even exploring my bed a bit during play time, which is something I haven't seen in over a month. He's still hating every moment of medication time, but it's proving to be worth it because he's got tons of little points in his skin where new quills are coming in!!! NEW QUILLS!! The Vetericyn seems to also be working because it #1 makes him smell all fresh and new, and #2 seems to be helping with the redness and cleanliness of his skin. I'm really excited about these little things. Hopefully his physical improvement will continue and with it will come his mental rehabilitation. (I say rehab because he really needs rehab. He's been ill for so long.)

And so here's a picture of him eating his "hedgie ice cream," aka some wet cat food.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Last edited by jlindsey428; 02-03-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Put the picture in the text. oops.
jlindsey428 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

Here's another picture! Taken 3 seconds ago!
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

YAY! Glad to hear some good news, especially that he seems to be feeling a bit better! I'll keep fingers crossed that you guys are over the worst of it...Keep getting better, Rory!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Exclamation Update: post-Clavamox and stress

This is Rory's Post-Clavamox update! He ended the clavamox on sunday (was his last dose), and I wanted to see how things panned out before I gave an update. He seems to be doing much better.

Quills are coming in! Yay! I was expecting a bunch of quills to come back in as soon as his infection was gone, but it seems that they're more stubborn than I thought. Yes, he's getting a ton of quills, but it's been 2 weeks since the clavamox started and he's still got a bit of baldness. He seems to be growing clusters of quills in some spots and not in others, but I think that over time, they'll even out. I can seethe beginnings of new quills where the transparent sharp points are poking through his skin, and this is encouraging. His skin is still red and a bit inflamed, but I think this is because of all the quill-growing activity. We'll see.

Rory's temperament is up and down. This is the thing I wanted to update most about. Physically he's doing better, which is encouraging, but mentally, he seems to be stuck. Am I doing something wrong? Did I permanently damage his psyche by not treating the infection correctly as soon as he started losing quills? I am really down about this situation. The first post I ever wrote was me being worried about how friendly he was! He never balled up and never hissed at me. Now, that is the definition of his life. I never had problems holding him before, and now I have carry him around in a sleepsack because the quills are everywhere and I'm apparently allergic to them when they stab me. (I get hives from his quills when they actually poke me. Touching them isn't a problem, because I think they only botherme when they break the first layer of my skin: ie: a scratch.) Someone please help me figure out why Rory isn't back to his old self. I feel like he's been permanently scarred from this ordeal of medication. Lately he's been ok with crawling on me when I'm lying down, but he won't let me touch him! As soon as he senses my hand coming in to pet him, he balls up. I have to admit, I am very discouraged and very sad by this. Is he scared of me? Did I do something wrong? Is there anything I can do to make him less scared of me? Is there anything I can do to make him like me more? Is he sad? Is he in pain? I don't know. I have been really really trying to be open minded about his grouchiness this last month and a half, but I'm finding that this is getting harder and harder. He's physically getting better, but why isn't he being friendly again?

I don't know if people see this other than those who follow this, but if there is anyway of bumping my questions up so that more people can see them, I would be grateful. I want to know what I'm doing wrong. I'm embarrassed to say that - in my darkest moments - I have even though about calling the breeder about taking him back because he hates me so much. I wonder if my presence is just stressing him out and if he'd be happier without me? It's almost like I'm mourning the loss of my friendly Rory before all this nonsense, which just makes me sadder.

Please help!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

I say buy his love! By that I mean hand feed him treats. What does he really like to eat? What makes him go crazy? Feed him that by hand. He may be curling and hissing because he still hurts a little, a little more time will help.
He may be grumpy because of all the medicine he has been given, again give it some time. Don't you dare send him back!!!! You are obviously a wonderful owner and he is lucky to have you! You are smart, you know when to ask questions, you take the advise given and you know how to advocate on behalf of your hedgie!
Good luck!
Lilysmommy and jlindsey428 like this.
phoenix1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #27 (permalink)

If he's growing quills in, he has to be SO uncomfortable. All those quills poking through his skin, everywhere, all at once? In skin that's been so uncomfortable and is just starting to heal? I think it's totally expected, even normal, for him to not want to be pet right now!

Keep spending time with him. Keep having him crawl on you. Try to be a bit passive, let him push into you instead of you pet him while he's growing in his quills. Make sure his sleeping-spots all smell like you, so he can't help but associate your smell with a safe, warm, cozy place to sleep.

You're doing amazing, he's doing amazing, and I hope he recovers his love of life when he doesn't hurt so much!
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

Smile Thank you to everyone.

It's been about 2 weeks since Rory finished his Clavamox. I wanted to give a quick update on all the good things in our lives.

1. I think it's firstly most important for me to say thank you for all your wonderful support emotionally. As any good pet "parent" would know, watching your baby go through **** is almost as bad on your psyche as it is on your baby's. I don't have the support of my family, but it's so nice to have support here. I am so grateful.

2. He has so many new quills!! It seemed that it took about a week for them to start really growing back in but now they're growing in in full force and he's no longer bald!! I am so relieved that hte new ones are poking in. I'm also reminded that hedgehogs are indeed like little reverse pincushions - his lack of quills had made it easier to reach him and now that the quills are back, when they stand up, they really can draw blood. However, I am overjoyed at this news because it means he's getting back to normal! A little human blood spilt is ok as long as my baby is getting better.

3. Personality - Improvement!!! I hadn't given him mealies in a while (because he had gotten pretty fat...) so I went to the store and got some, and he seems to be warming up to me bit by bit. I have to be careful not to give him more than 2 a day, but he's enjoying them. I have also found that he loves turkey and chicken. Whenever I eat a turkey sandwich, he pokes his nose out of his snuggle sack and sniffs around as if asking me for a little bite. I'm a sucker, so of course I feed him. I think the biggest improvement with his behavior is his visor quills are lowering more and more around me. He still startles more than he used to, but his visor quills go into the relaxed position much more quickly than they used to. He's also letting me hold him more without stabbing me to death (by hold, I mean I can hold him the normal way where he's not balled up and spikey). I think that Rory and I have reached the point where he no longer thinks I'm the devil, but doesn't trust me fully. We're mutually tolerant. I hope that this will continue to improve as it does each day. I am so happy.

So thank you thank you thank you! Your advice has been so helpful and it probably saved Rory's life. Be well, all! <3

P.S. This picture was taken a few days ago. I wanted to document his "unballing" progress!

Happy boy
Lilysmommy and phoenix1964 like this.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm so glad to hear such good news! Both on the quills front and on the attitude. Thank you for updating, and I'm celebrating with you that he's no longer convinced you're a monster!
jlindsey428 and phoenix1964 like this.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #30 (permalink)

Default Better and better

Each day with this boy gets better and better. We now have quills and are no longer bald!!! He looks fantastic. He's so much friendlier now, which shows me that he's feeling better. The Vetericyn is probably the best thing I have found for him. Completely non-toxic and does wonders on the skin. I recommend it highly to anybody who wants to keep their baby's skin in top condition. It's better than the flax oil and it moisturizes without being greasy and you can put it on numerous times a day. It also smells divine.

Here are some pictures. The second one is a before and after Clavamox. They were taken about a month apart. The top one was just taken.

Thank you again for all your help and advice.
afireinsidex03 likes this.

Tags
infection, quilling behavior, skin problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in