Grouchy quilling boy or attachment problems? Help - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh good, I'm glad you guys narrowed down the cause of his issues! Poor guy, I hope he starts feeling better very soon. Keep us updated on how he's doing!
jlindsey428 likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Update: Day 5 on Baytril

Rory has been on antibiotics now for 5 days. He hates it. Since I can't get him to show me his mouth any other way, I hold him in a ball on his back and slip the syringe in there and hold it to his teeth and slowly empty the syringe. It's hard to tell if he's getting it, because he doesn't do anything but huff. he used to lick it but now he doesn't even do that cause he's so angry at me. But I do think he's getting it, since...well, where else could it go? I'm putting it directly into his mouth. Anyway, he hates the medication and he hates me too.

What has improved:
-....get back to you on that one. I don't think enough time has gone by.

What hasn't changed:
-his skin. I guess you could consider this an improvement, since it hasn't gotten worse. It did for a few days but I think that was because the bacteria was getting out of his skin and leaving red, bloody marks by his quills. Hopefully it'll get better from there.

What's gotten worse:
- his attitude. I think he officially hates me now. Not only is he not feeling great, but I'm giving him "strawberry" tasting drugs. lol. He doesn't realize that it'll make him feel better.
- his baldness. I think this is just because damaged quills are falling out though. (quills that were trapping bacteria under the skin).
- His skin is still all flaky. I am at a loss of what to do. But it's so dry and flaky; you touch him and it flakes off like snow. I swear to god I thought I must've gotten snow on him once from my jacket, but then touched it and realized it was hedgie dandruff. Any advice? I don't want to put any oil on the skin because that'll block the bacteria from getting out. HALP.

jlindsey428 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

It wouldn't let me edit, but I have something to add for what has improved!!

HE'S GROWING NEW QUILLS IN HIS BALD SPOTS!! YAY!!

I just gave him a water bath (no soap, no oatmeal) and as I was cleaning some of the infected areas (which was mostly just quills blocking the infection from getting out) I noticed the growth of new quills! So now I have a very grumpy hedgehog because I tweezed some damaged quills (two were fractured and another was ***** at the bottom and the only way I could clean the area was to remove it) and bathed him, but I am a very happy owner because he's getting new quills!!!

Last edited by jlindsey428; 01-26-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: made it prettier

Old 01-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It might take a while for his skin to start actually showing signs of improvement. If you're concerned, you could call your vet up and ask whether there's an approximate time that you should start seeing things look better or what you can expect as far as recovery time. I definitely wouldn't try using any kind of oil on him right now, until you have confirmation from the vet that the infection is gone and that it's safe to start putting oil on him again. That's great that he's starting to grow quills back though!

For the medicine & attitude, have you tried mixing the medicine in with anything else? I know you said it's strawberry-flavored, but if he still doesn't like it, it might be worth trying to mix it with a meat baby food, canned cat food, etc. & see if he's more willing then.

Keep us updated on how he's doing, I hope he does start showing more improvement soon, the poor guy. You're doing great with him, even if he doesn't think so!
jlindsey428 likes this.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Sorry. I was reading back and saw that it blocked one of my words. I meant to write Pus-y. not something else. there was pus. not something else. I didn't even think about that. Wanted to clear that up. Cause I definitely didn't mean that...
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

This is our life now. We're the King of Grouchland.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Awww, poor sweetie! I really hope he starts feeling better soon so you can get back to bonding and getting him into a better temperament! How's the quill regrowth coming along? Is he taking his medicine any better yet or does he still think you're trying to poison him?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Unfortunately, he still thinks I'm the devil, but hopefully with time it'll get better. He's still losing quills, but they're always covered with yellowish gunk on the bottom. I wonder if somehow the quills got infected and shedding the quills is helping get rid of the infection. Only time will tell, I think. I'll keep you updated!

Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

...I am so amused at the censoring that went on when you tried to describe the pus-filled state of your poor hedgehog.

I've heard rumour that eventually if you keep going through the horror of applying medications and syringes and all that, that eventually you end up even closer bonded with your hedgehog as he starts to feel better again. i really hope that happens in your case, because you deserve some prickly cuddles to reward your persistence.
jlindsey428 and Aether like this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Unhappy Update: Treatment Round 3

Thanks to everyone who has helped and supported me these last few weeks. And Annie, your commend definitely put a smile on my face for the first time in a while. I hope that he'll forgive me eventually.

So, instead of actually going to the vet and spending a ridiculous amount of money on another checkup, I called the vet and we had a phone conversation about his declining condition of baldness, no new quill growth (since the last time I posted about new quills, there haven't been any new ones poking up since then), and ugly temperment and grayish snout. We've/He decided that the Baytril isn't working, so we're now trying Clavimox. I just ordered some Vetericyn Universal Wound and Infection Spray, which is hedgehog safe, highly vet recommended, and environmentally safe, and this will arrive in the mail sometime in the next few days. I had it shipped priority, so I'm expecting it monday or tuesday. I looked around some stores, but couldn't find the exact kind that the vet had recommended so I had to go online to get it.

Well Rory's situation is going downhill and I am really concerned that he's not getting better as fast as he should. At first, the Baytril did seem to be working, and the vet said this is normal, but that Baytril is more of a cover-all-your-bases antibiotic, whereas Clavimox is specifically for skin. The vet said he highly recommends the Vetericyn because it is not only extremely safe for the hedgehog (even safe enough for the eyes to have direct contact), but also is a very good topical solution to wounds and skin infections without aggravating the condition(s) further. I'm hoping that the combination of the Clavimox and the Vetericyn will be the ultimate solution we have been looking for. Thanks for everyone's support. And for allowing this to be my kind of New-panicky-mom outlet for distress. I'll definitely keep you updated.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Tags
infection, quilling behavior, skin problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in