Losing Quills for Several Weeks - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Losing Quills for Several Weeks

I posted in the Fall about my hedgehog's skin condition and quill loss

link here: https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...infection.html

I took him to the vet several times and was optimistic about his recovery. However, he still loses between 3 and 5 quills each day. I am wondering if I should go back to the vet, go to a different vet, or perhaps something else?

Symptoms:
His skin is still a little flaky, but the yellow crustiness he originally presented with is gone. The extreme flakiness he originally had has also cleared up quite a bit.

He does not appear to be itchy or uncomfortable. He has no noticeable bald spots either.

Treatment so far:
He has had two doses of Revolution to treat for possible mites. He had a skin scrape done and nothing unusual was found. He was prescribed a spray (Chlorhexadine) to treat his skin which we have been applying daily for about 5 weeks now. I also occasionally use Humilac on his skin to keep the flakes at bay. That was only introduced after the yellow crustiness went away and after he completed treatment for mites

Suggestions? I am at a loss and concerned about my little guy
artistshrugged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I forgot to mention that Reggie is just about two years old (next month is his birthday!)
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm. Someone recently posted about their (severe!) quill-loss and (extremely) flakey skin being an assumed nutrient deficiency, resolved with a dietary supplement of Sunshine Factor (essentially red palm oil).
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Annie! That may be worth a try, although he has been on the same food for quite some time now. I don't think adding some to his food would harm anything, though, so I will give it a go!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

From a bit of archive-diving about Sunshine Factor, it looks like a couple hedgie-parents have used it off-and-on over the years, so it seems to be hedgehog-safe. It is a weight-dosage thing, so you don't want to over-feed it, but you can read up on the package what the appropriate amount is. It's easy to order online in the US, but vets (particularly those specializing in birds) seem to have smaller (more hedgehog-appropriate-sized) containers for cheaper. Over-feeding results in weight gain; severe over-feeding results in icky poops & upset tummies.

Other archive-threads suggest being careful to only offer one oil-supplement at a time (Sunshine Factor, flaxseed oil, olive oil, or coconut oil, not all of them all at once) to avoid weight-gain issues.

Reading up on medical sites, it looks like not enough research has actually been done to figure out the different impacts of feeding red palm oil vs flaxseed oil vs olive oil vs coconut oil. Each one has had its turn in the media spotlight (and I'm sure this year will have its new miracle-oil), and each one does have different nutrients, but not enough science has been done to strongly recommend one over the other. So it comes down to personal choice (...like it always does with exotics, sigh!)

Good luck, and I really hope it helps!
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for all the archive-diving! That truly does help. The vet we see here specializes in exotics, so I will see if she has any Sunshine Factor. I may also inquire about any other suggestions she has. I don't want to put him through a drastic treatment plan if it is unnecessary so this gives me a great place to start. Thanks again!

Tags
dry skin, quill loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in