Severe Quill Loss - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Severe Quill Loss

Hello,

I joined this site because I am very worried about my Hedgehog. We got him from a breeder about 1 year ago and at the time the breeder said he was 8 months old. He had no problems other than being a grumpy hedgehog.

About 3 weeks ago I started to notice that Hedgie was loosing quills and that his skin was dry. My husband and I searched the internet and the general consensus was that this was normal, however, I bathed him with a little bit of oil and it helped the dry skin. My husband and I went on our honeymoon and came back 2 weeks later and hedgie had huge quill loss. The people who took care of him had a warm house, and kept his cage clean etc.etc... however they did not hold or pick him up so they did not notice the change since he likes to hide.

We took him to a vet who said that he is completely healthy other than the fact he had dry skin and quill loss. She did a complete exam (heart, eyes, mouth, teeth etc). We also had her do a skin scape, but we did not have enough money to do a fungal exam. She said that she did not know what was causing the issue and said we should try ivermectin, however, we decided to use revolution in case he had mites. Even though the vet said there was no signs of mites she wasn't going to let us leave without some medication.

So its been a few days since we started the medicine so we won't know if it will work yet.

I am just so worried because hedgie is starting to become bald. His quills are growing back in, however, he must have lost at least 200 quills already. They just fall out. If I pick him up I will see quills just fall off with now assistance. From what I understand he is too old to be quilling, but I also read that mites do not allow the quills to grow back. I just don't get it.

He is still active, he still eats, and still runs on his wheel.
Our house is 75C, he gets fresh water dailing, and we feed him cat food, with meal worms as treats. He refuses any vegetables or fruits. He has a hidey home and a blanket. Right now there is no bedding because the vet said to get rid of it during treatment.

Any advice???
Pandorri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What does his skin look like? I know you said it looks dry, but anything else? Does the dry skin look chunky or yellow-ish at all? Are there any little red dots, pustules, anything like that? I would think the vet would've caught anything like that, but just in case.

Someone else on here recently had a bad case of what they thought was dry skin with their hedgie. After a vet visit & test, it turned out he did actually have a fungal infection that required meds. So if you can find the money, it sounds like it'd be worth it to have a fungal test done to see if that's the problem with him as well.

Until you see if the Revolution works or not (good job on not getting Ivermectin!), and if not, until you get a fungal test done, I wouldn't put any more oil on his skin, even in a bath - oil can make infections worse by sealing it in.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lilysmommy has you covered for the medical aspect.

For the keeping him comfy while you sort out what's going on, you could use a bit of fleece cut-to-size as a liner instead of bedding for now. Washing in hot water (unscented detergent, normal wash, a bit of white vinegar will eliminate urine smells) will kill off any mites, and then he's not on bare cage-floor.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in