Increased Quill loss after Revolution dose? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Increased Quill loss after Revolution dose?

Hey guys, just a quick question about possible increased quill loss after a hedgehog gets a small dose of Revolution. After taking Hannibell to the vet (she had been itching a lot), I was told she had absolutely no signs of mites. She had great skin, hadn't been losing an abnormal amount of quills at that point, and was looking great. Since she'd been itching so excessively though, they gave her a dose of revolution just in case. It's been about a week, and things haven't changed for the most part; her skin is still clear and not dry, and she hasn't been itching as much, so I thought it'd worked its course. However, last night she started losing a lot of quills out of nowhere. During the time I handled her, she lost six quills. When I went to get her out of her bin, there were probably three or four where she'd been sleeping, and in the time I've been holding her today she's lost about seven, maybe a couple more. Before this, I didn't notice much clear loss at all. Maybe two or three every couple days.

She's coming up to about six months of age, is it possible she could be getting ready for a quilling, or would this be more related to her Revolution dose? Does anyone have any ideas? She doesn't seem bothered by it at all, as I said, she's not itching and she's not being grumpy, so I'm completely out of ideas. What do you guys think?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Increased Quill loss after Revolution dose?

Its possible that the quills that are falling out now were damaged by mites before the treatment and are just falling out now. As long as it doesn't get extreme I'd just keep an eye on it. Some hedgies will randomly lose quills for a short period of time for no apparent reason.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's the thing though...I was told she didn't have mites and it was just a preventative measure.

I'll keep an eye on her and make sure she's doing alright...she hasn't been eating as much as normal, but she's still eating a bit and drinking, so I'm not too worried. If it gets any worse I'll call the vet back.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Could be that whatever prompted you to go to the vet in the first place is still not yet properly diagnosed.

You may want to be looking at additional causes of quill loss that aren't so obvious:
- you've ruled out dry skin... so probably not a cause
- nutrition - either in what she's eating or how her body is processing it
- early stages of an illness that hasn't shown itself in other ways yet (like a UTI that hasn't shown up with bloody urine, etc...)

Or, like Nikki said, it really could be mites. The thing is, when you test for mites, it's easy to get a false negative -- meaning the test fails to pick up on the fact that they really are there. Sooo... finish out any remaining doses of Revolution as prescribed and, for now, I'd say keep a watchful approach - look for signs of anything else that could be going awry. Write down how many are lost each time you get her up (both the ones you find in her cage and in your lap) and look for trends over time. You could supplement with something like Sunshine Factor - may help... but, at least, won't hurt.

You could do things like get a urinalysis, fecal float, skin swabbing & culture, etc... at the vet if you're really worried and/or if you start seeing other symptoms.
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks so much...I've been keeping an eye on her lately and the quill loss has gone down a bit (Now it's down to about three when I handle her and in her bed when I pick her up, so I think it very well may have been just a light case of mites? I'm not quite sure; nutrition might have had something to do with it too; she was on the sunseed hedgehog food supplemented with insects and baby food, and I recently went out and got her blue buffalo, so with that on top of her insects and babyfood I think that may have helped a bit.

I'll still be keeping an eye on her though; thank you so much for your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in