Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Quills (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Here a quill, there a quill... (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19551)

bigbertha 01-08-2013 03:26 PM

Here a quill, there a quill...

Hello all! New hedgie owner with tons of questions!

We just "adopted" a hedgie with not a ton of info on his history -- aside from that he is a male about 2 years old. We've had him only for a week. He's lost two quills in the past week (found them in the sleeping bag I made for him). Is this just stress related? Normal? I don't see any mites, but I can't say he relaxes enough for me to get in there and really look just yet.

Thanks!

jholstein11 01-08-2013 03:50 PM

Re: Here a quill, there a quill...

my guy has lost a quill here and there... no biggie. i think if it's a lot of quills is when it's an issue.

moxieberry 01-08-2013 04:17 PM

Quills are modified hairs, and they're dropped in small amounts throughout a hedgehog's life, the same as we lose hairs. A few here and there, even a few a day, is perfectly normal.

bluebyrd333 01-08-2013 05:18 PM

I believe that hedgehogs normally lose up to five quills a day. Next time you see a quill check to see if it has a root or bulb attached if it does the quill was lost naturally. If it does not it may have been lost due to a parasite.
Hope this helps! :)

Christemo 01-08-2013 05:57 PM

Just wait until you start stepping on ones embedded in your carpet! :P

cardiologineer 01-08-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christemo

I hate that. The other night I was reaching for something on the floor and somehow managed to stab my finger with a random quill on the ground and even bled a little. :roll:

jholstein11 01-08-2013 07:01 PM

I found one in my bra... As that is where my fella likes to snuggle. Lol

Christemo 01-09-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardiologineer
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christemo

I hate that. The other night I was reaching for something on the floor and somehow managed to stab my finger with a random quill on the ground and even bled a little. :roll:

I got one between the nail and skin last night. I think that cloud of curses is floating over Montana right now.

bigbertha 01-09-2013 07:03 PM

Thanks everyone! Nervous momma here! And yes, there was a "bulb" or root look at the end. Phew!