Blunt Quills? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Blunt Quills?

I just pulled these three weird shaped quills off of Fitz's back. They are very blunt and fat compared to normal quills he loses, as you can see in the pictures. I have been watching a few of them since I found them the other day and they seem to stop growing, at about the length you see them, and then the skin around them gets a puffy/swollen but there is no puss like I have seen with ingrown quills. They are not deeply imbedded in the skin and do not have the defined "bulb" at the end like other healthy quills. They come out with no resistance and Fitz doesn't seem to be bothered during me pulling them, but after being pulled the spot bleeds (which regular ingrown quills I have pulled had puss but no blood) and he is obviously very sore in that spot if you try to touch it. He has at least two others at the moment that I saw, (and I have pulled others like this when he was younger and quilling and I assumed they were just ingrown) but he got annoyed with me and wouldn't let me mess with him anymore after I pulled these three.

I am wondering if there is something wrong with Fitz or his quills/skin. I feel like he had a ton of ingrown quills (the puss filled ones) when he was quilling. I mean I lost track of how many I had to pull in those few weeks and then I find these weird ones? He is 6 months old and loses a few quills a day, which I assume is normal at that age. His skin is a little dry right now, but he is due for a bath tomorrow so I'm sure that is normal, especially with the dry winter weather right now.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Blunt Quills?

Thanks for providing good pictures! From the looks of it they look like quills that are damaged during development and never develop right... not sure if there's a problem with the follicle, if he just has some funky quills (totally possible), or what. It may improve with time but since he's already 6 months old, most hedgies are done quilling by then, so I'm not sure. I have seen a lot of hedgies with weird curled, "split", fat, flat, you name it quills. Not any that just stop growing at one point and pull right out, though. Since he had so many ingrown/infected ones during quilling, I'd say a vet visit would probably be a good idea to rule out any skin problems. Maybe a disinfecting bath once or twice a week would clear up any bacteria/fungus on his skin and allow his quills to come in healthy?

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had read about flat ones and curly ones but none like these. He did have one flat one that became ingrown when he was quilling. His skin does not visibly look unhealthy like with a fungus or something. With the exception of his dry flakey skin at the moment it is always nice and pink (he is albino obvs) and seems well hydrated. Don't you think something like that might be a little more visible or have other signs than just mutated quills?

I agree, I think I am gonna have to take him to the vet and get it checked out.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would think so too, but I don't have any other ideas! Hopefully the vet will be able to help.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in