Help! Rescued Hedgehog Balding - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help! Rescued Hedgehog Balding

Hi all! I live in a college town, and I just recently rescued a hedgehog from a student on campus who did not want the hedgehog any more after having her only two weeks. The previous owner knew nothing about the hedgehogs breeding/background. In the last two weeks, the hedgehog has been losing quills excessively and thinning. She has lost over 100 quills in the last nine days and has a 1 cm by 2 cm bald spot on her back. Her skin is also extremely dry and comes off in flakes on every surface she comes in contact with.

Details: 6 mo old when we got her, 8 mo old now. Very shy and nervous, we have been trying to acclimate her with a shirt in the cage and regular handling. She was switched from an only wet cat food diet to mostly dry with a bit of wet, crickets, and fresh veg/fruits. The vet suggested mites without running any tests, and prescribed Revolution, which we are currently using. I was not necessarily happy with this experience at the vet as she suggested feeding the hedgehog grapes and switching over to hedgehog food rather than the premium cat food I have been using. (I understand being an exotic vet isn‘t easy).

What could be causing this? Is it abnormal for the vet to not run any tests and still prescribe the Revolution?The hedgehog recently went home with me for the holidays, could stress be causing this?

Did we do something wrong? Has anybody had such an experience? Should we be looking for somebody with more experience? My roommates and I are experienced animal keepers who were involved in 4H, but neither of us have had a hedgehog before. Thank you all so much!!
Pippasmother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

https://imgur.com/gallery/rUKjvBm
This is a photo of her balding spot for reference.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Additionally, my vet prescribed 0.17 mL of Revolution per dose. It is the Feline 15-22 version of the drug. I read somewhere on here that the normal dose is 0.01 mL per 400 g. Since my hedgehog is just over 500 g, shouldn't her dose be closer to 0.01 mL? Or am I just confused? Can you overdose on Revolution?

Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

In my opinion, it’s irresponsible to make a diagnosis without doing actual tests to see if you’re right. I think this could be plain dry skin, or maybe a bacterial infection. If the Revolution doesn’t work, then I would go to another vet and ask for actual tests to be done. (I won’t go back to someone who said I should feed my hedgehog grapes)

You can maybe start by throwing flaxeed oil over the hedgehogs food once or twice a week. Flaxeed oil helps for dry skin. I use it for my boy, and I’ve never had issues with flakey skin.

Furthermore, I don’t really know much about hedgehog medicine and I won’t be able to help with the Revolution dosage question, sorry.
Brooke2Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in