How can I tell he's stopped quilling? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How can I tell he's stopped quilling?

Total newbie here and I've had my hog for just over a week. Breeder said he had started quilling a few days before I got him and that I should not touch him on the quills for awhile. I've been holding him daily but he takes a while before he opens up and then he lumbers off my hands. If I tried to pet him, I would bet that he'd just ball up.

I have seen very few fallen quills anywhere but his quills on him seemed more ... criss-crossed and "messy" on his back when I first got him.

Is he really quilling? How can I tell if he's still sore? I couldn't get a straight answer as to how long quilling lasts. I've probably seen less than a dozen fallen quills in the week+ I've had him. I expected much more.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! How old is your little guy? Full quilling usually starts at 3-6 weeks old and can last until they’re about 12 weeks, but can be off and on for the first 6 months. When Christina was quilling, I picked up *virtually* every dropped quill every day just to gauge how much she’s dropping, and once it plateaued, she was fine.
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Aj, he's 11 weeks old now. I've been hoping to be able to blame quilling on why he hasn't seemed to make much progress.

Every day I'll hold him in my open hands (suffering through the spikey quills) and wait for him to unball. He finally does and may sit awhile, only half-uncurled, deciding what to do. Then he walks off of my hands. If I try to have him walk from hand to hand, he either curls back up (ouch) or scurries off my hands.

This from a hedgehog that was described as "extremely social. He almost never goes into a ball and lets us grab him without warning and hardly reacts... social,active"

Old 02-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

It sounds like him and Ms Hedguilera would get along pretty well lol. I admit that I definitely relied too heavily on the breeder personality description; you just can never fully tell how they’re going to react to different environments. Christina was said to be ‘very sweet, curious, and docile’... yeah, NOPE. She’s a diva for sure! She’s curious alright, but has never been the let’s hang out on your hands and let you pet my belly kind of girl. By the age, it sounds like Mecki could very well still be losing some quills, so keep up with the minimal contact bonding, and he should warm up 🙂 and if you haven’t already, try treating him with one specific type of treat while you’re with him. For example, I have a small jar of mixed kibbles for treats to spread around her house every now and again, but she only gets mealworms when she’s with me. It’ll get them to associate you with something tasty they have to be a part of in order to receive. Does that make sense? It did in my head at least haha.
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Begging forgiveness but I cann't stop myself. How do you know when they are done quilling ? ........ when they stop falling out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belties View Post
Begging forgiveness but I cann't stop myself. How do you know when they are done quilling ? ........ when they stop falling out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL! Yes, I realize that is the obvious... however, as I explained, and being new, the breeder told me he had just started quilling, yet in the 10 days or so that I've had him, I've only seen about (or less than) a dozen quills total on his fleece bedding. I don't know if he actually is quilling or ever was quilling since I've had him.

The body of my first post in this thread explains in more detail.

Last edited by Mecki; 02-18-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by belties View Post
LOL! Yes, I realize that is the obvious... however, as I explained, and being new, the breeder told me he had just started quilling, yet in the 10 days or so that I've had him, I've only seen about (or less than) a dozen quills total on his fleece bedding. I don't know if he actually is quilling or ever was quilling since I've had him. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
Have you seen new quills come in? My hedgehog just started quilling a couple days ago and I can see new quills growing in.
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

@Aj, thanks. I'll feel less guilty about just holding him in the bonding bag. I gave him some meal worms once which he gobbled up. Then a few days later, I tried giving him some while he was on my lap but he totally ignored them. Then I put him in his exercise pen with the worms and he still ignored them...(sigh) Maybe he's not so food motivated.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaymin_Lover View Post
Have you seen new quills come in? My hedgehog just started quilling a couple days ago and I can see new quills growing in.
I haven't seen or noticed. His quills seem thick to me. This is him the day after I got him when he supposedly had started quilling a few days prior.

Have you seen many fallen quills (loose on the ground)?

Last edited by Mecki; 05-11-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I can’t tell based on that picture. With my hedgehog, I can see tiny sharp bumps in between his quills which is what I assume are the new ones coming in. They are really hard to see though and I’ve only really saw them in the morning when I wake him up (his quills are out because he’s grumpy.) If we wasn’t quilling, there wouldn’t be any quills though so I guess that he is quilling? I’ve never heard of anything like this before so I wouldn’t know.
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in