Quilling Question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Keosha
Default Quilling Question

I have a quick quilling question for some more experienced owners. I just recently adopted 2 new girls on the 20th of November and have them a dose of revolution upon bring them home. I also built them a larger C&C and have had them in a separately heated room from Penelope for quarantine reasons. They are sisters and have been housed together since birth. It has been a bit of a changed for them but they seem to be adjusting quite well. They both have great appetite a, and out on a mix of Innova, Chicken Soup, and Green pea and duck. They are active, and all around in good health.

When i spoke to the previous owner she aged them at about 2 years. However, today when I was cleaning their cage I noticed my one new girl Lily, had shed quite a few more quills then I was use to seeing. I counted them and there was 15 of them. Im wondering if this could be a possible quilling as I haven't seen any scratching, and upon applying the revolution I haven't seen quill loss until today. Also, I do have the pair of them liners, which I clean and rotate regularly. I know that at 2 years of age hedgehogs don't usually go through a quilling. I am hesitant to think it could be mites as her sister has no quill loss, and you would think that because they share a cage that if one of them has mites it would be affecting them both as sleep huddled together.

Lastly, the quills have the little ball on the end which I know to be a good sign that the quill may have fallen out naturally, but this doesn't ensure that she does not have mites. Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to contribute as much information as I could. Because I purchased Penelope when she was older I have never experienced a quilling and haven't a clue as to how many quills a hedgehog normally loses in a quilling. Any insight from some more experienced owners would be much appreciated!

I will also be giving my girls an Oatmeal bath tonight, and try to examine their quills and skin more Thoroughly.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Quilling Question

Its possible that the quill loss is due to the stress of moving to a new home. Stress can cause some quill drop for a bit. As long as they aren't scratching and their skin looks good I wouldn't worry about it to much, just keep an eye on them. Congratulations on the new additions!

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Keosha

Thanks so much Nikki! I'd rather be safe than sorry. I am always a little over cautious when it comes to my Pets.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

No problem! Sorry I didn't see this earlier!

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in