Infected Quills during Quilling and dermatitis - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2018, 10:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'd definitely stop using the medicated shampoo then. Perhaps give the vets a call and tell them her condition has gotten worse since using the shampoo and clarify what it was for (bacteria or fungal). If another hedgie from the same litter also is having skin issues it is most likely something they've caught it and it is spreading. Fungal infections like ringworm are contagious and hedgies can get it or it could be mites still. I'd let the vet know about the other litter mate too. Ask if the amoxicillin will help, in case it's not the right treatment. Keep giving the amoxicillin as directed by the vet and only stop at their instruction though.

Re plastic food bowl. I'm not sure if this could be a cause, but perhaps change to a ceramic bowl anyways. They are heavier too so better and food doesn't get tipped over.

Are you still putting polysporin on her wounds? If it's an antiseptic cream this could be making it worse if it's not bacteria and is fungal. I'm actually allergic to antiseptic creams, I wouldn't use it on your hedgie unless the vet has told you to do so.

If she's still scratching a lot, perhaps just wipe her paws with a warm damp cloth so her poopy feet are making the sores worse.

So you haven't given her a bath since she's had the revolution treatment right? Does she still have another revolution dose to take (in 1 or 2 weeks time)? Perhaps the scratching might start to calm down after the second dose. I wouldn't bathe her during the treatment as it might wash it off and stop it from being 100% effective. Although if the last bath she had was with the medicated shampoo this could still be irritating her skin. Perhaps check with the vet if you can bath her in just water during the revolution treatment, or ask how long you need to wait until you can bath her again.

I probably wouldn't put any oil on her ears. If it is fungal this will make it worse. This is just my opinion though.

Hopefully changing to fleece might help. Carefresh is quite dusty (I currently use it), so the dust could be making things worse. When washing fleece, I recommend to do a rinse wash afterwards and use some distilled White vinegar, this helps breaks up any residue detergent left on the fleece. Especially when first washing fleece, the detergent can stick to it sometimes.

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 10-09-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you both for your replies. I’m so sorry to get back to you all so late I’ve had a crazy past few weeks and just finally got a chance to update.

She’s doing so much better, her ears are nearly healed. One ear has small bumps you can barely see but I’m so happy she’s made a turn around it really worried me.

I did go to the vet and addressed that the fungal infection of her brother and how it may be a part of the issue with her as she had some noticeably dry skin and was itching all the time. (Enough to make her ears bleed) And they prescribed a liquid antibiotic with lotion medication to be applied to needed treating area. It came with a dropper on the end of the bottle so while she was napping during her bonding time with me I would drop a little over different areas of her back. I continued the antibiotic a little longer than prescribed too until I saw the healing start to take effect. Like 3 days more but I’m glad I did because she’s doing so good!

I also did a lot of readjusting to her environment. She has fleece liners on her cage and a fleece house to hide in. I took out all the carefresh except for in her litter box (she uses it most of the time)! She also only drinks bottle water or filtered water. I also give her baths only in filtered water.

I think it made the most difference in removing all the carefresh for her bedding. She has it in her litter box still but she doesn’t burrow around in it. She will kick up some to go potty but her skin is looking good I’m glad she’s doing well.

They never did determine the cause of what caused her to be so itchy. It wasn’t mites and they didn’t see any obvious sign of food allergies (the vet said it would be her face and belly that showed the symptoms and she was fine on that part). So I guess we won’t ever know. Maybe it was just a really bad quilling and she was super itchy. But she’s doing well and the medication I applied to her back and neck seemed to work well for her.
shetland and Yukidama's mama like this.
Takehertothesea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in