oatmeal spray?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2016, 03:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default oatmeal spray??

Well my little guy is hitting his 10 week quilling and i still have yet to give him a bath. Because he's still not fond of me handling him (he was quilling when I got him 4 weeks ago so it didn't help the bonding process), I'm worried a bath time situation in a sink can go terribly wrong. But his skin is so dry and the poor thing is constantly scratching. I took him to the vet last week and no mites. He's on anti-pill fleece as well from the first day I got him. I've transitioned his food (my mistake, I was trying to slowly introduce his new food as treats in his dig box and then he pretty much went on a hunger strike because of it. I sprinkle benebac On his food to help with the transition and his poops have been normal). I put a little bit of flax oil on his food as well but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

I found a DIY oatmeal spray for pets, it's literally just boiled water and oatmeal. Do you think it would be okay to get a small travel spray bottle and just give him a little mist here and there to help relieve his itching? Would spraying chamomile tea maybe help as well (I don't use tea bags, I use organic dried chamomile flowers and boil them straight to make tea if that makes a difference)
Sewingdame87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

It sounds like the sprayed water would be cold/make the hedgehog cold, and probably dry out his skin further if you're spraying him often.

You could try putting a few drops of the flax oil on his actual body, be careful not to add too much or do it too frequently.

Munchkin
(also known as "Munchy", "Crunchy", "Crunch Wrap Supreme" & "The Cranky Crayon")
Born on 10/09/17.

The Canadian Quill Zone: On Hiatus due to grieving.
Etsy | Facebook | Instagram

RIP Marcy (Marceline).
Gone, but never forgotten.
I wish the stars had visiting hours so that we could play again.
10/23/14 - 11/20/17
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I was worried about the spray being too cold myself, I will definitely try to use the oil. Thank you!
Sewingdame87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in