Losing quills, not mites - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By twobytwopets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2016, 02:09 PM  

Default Losing quills, not mites

I've done a lot of research and can't find any answers to what I need. So for the past few months, my little girl has been losing quills. I know it isn't mites because I've dealt with that before. Her skin is very dry, and a lot of the quills she loses seem to have a chunk of dry skin on the end. I also don't see any quills growing back. Her behaviour isn't any different, she is eating and drinking normal, running on her wheel, etc., where before when she was quilling she was extremely grumpy and acting odd. I'd say she's close to a year old, I got her at the end of last summer and I think she was just old enough to leave her mother when I got her. The only things I have done different in the past few months is switched her from a cage to a tote, and I also started using fleece instead of carefresh (although I'm not sure if the quill loss started before this or not, as I wasn't able to see any quills in her bedding). I've searched high and low and haven't been able to find any answers to my exact problem, please please help!
Hedgiegirljenna is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 02:20 PM  

Generally quill loss is caused by quilling, mites, bacterial infection, fungal infection or stress/ recovery from stress.

With stress, we would expect to see some other signs. Change in behavior, digestive issues things like that.

With bacterial and fungal infections sometimes the only sign is the quill loss.

And with mites, usually there is the crazy itchiness.

What can you treat at home within reason? Stress, if you can identify a source you can deal with it. Mites, bacterial or fungal infections need to be evaluated and treated by a vet.
nikki and Salt&PepperHedgie like this.
twobytwopets is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
dry skin, female hedgehog, quill loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in