7 month old still hasn't gotten her adult quills and other issues - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 7 month old still hasn't gotten her adult quills and other issues

This is my first post here,but I've been keeping hedgies since the late 90s and have always had at least 1. Right now we have 3 girls(caged separately). The one that is giving me trouble is the 7 month old"Willow". She was bought in January from Millermeade and was tiny when I bought her. She is still very tiny,and still has all her baby quills,I know this because she still has the nailpolish that was used by the breeeder to mark her.
She has been eating Royal Canin Baby Cat 34 after a negative fecal in an attempt to get her to gain some weight. She only gets her wheel every other night now. No matter what I do she sits at 200g.
I have an appointment for her on Thursday with our exotics vet,but I was hoping someone else has experienced this so I can have an idea of what we are looking for.
wearingtacu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

The quills, how many would you say were painted? A few, or a whole blob? If it's a few, they may not have been shed in the quilling.
How old was she when you brought her home? Is it at all possible that she is older than you were told?
Do you know how large the parents are? Smaller hedgehogs make smaller hedgehogs. We seem to have this disgusting trend in animals, trying to make them smaller and smaller.
Does she eat all her kibble nightly? Any treats? Is her basic body shape normal, or does she appear underweight?
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

It was a blob about the size of a dime. It's easy to me to see the quills are short and thin like baby quills. To me she looks underweight compared to our other hedgies.
The date of birth listed for her was 11-25-15 and I picked her up on 1-17-16 at the midwest reptile show. So she would have been 7 weeks old. I did not see her sire or dam in person.
She eats very well,Royal Canin baby cat nightly and treats can be bugs,steamed chicken,scrambled eggs(made without milk)canned cat food
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
The quills, how many would you say were painted? A few, or a whole blob? If it's a few, they may not have been shed in the quilling.
How old was she when you brought her home? Is it at all possible that she is older than you were told?
Do you know how large the parents are? Smaller hedgehogs make smaller hedgehogs. We seem to have this disgusting trend in animals, trying to make them smaller and smaller.
Does she eat all her kibble nightly? Any treats? Is her basic body shape normal, or does she appear underweight?

Old 06-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

https://www.critterconnection.cc/ima...image_2440.jpg
This is her baby pic the breeder took
the attached pic is next to a 3 month old hedgie femaleIMG_0160.JPG
Old 06-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

today at the vet"s Willow weghed 289g. The vet wasn't terribly concerned about her weight and said being on the slimmer side is perferable to being obese.
She is quite concerned about the the warty looking lumps on her genitals,armpits and corners of her mouth. We are trying the conservative treatment of biomox first for 7 days and if there is no change we will have to do a biopsy
Old 07-02-2016, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Even though it's a less than ideal time, you may want to consider getting her off the Royal Canin and onto a higher quality food. It's not unusual for brewers rice, wheat, corn, and glutens to cause skin issues when they're used in isolation, and they make up 4 of the first 5 ingredients in Royal Canin baby cat.

I'm going through the exact opposite experience with my new baby, as far as size. My first hedgehog was so small when I got him, I thought his previous owners couldn't possibly be right about his age. He was underweight when I got him, but even when I got him to healthy weight, he was never more than 150g. My new baby is not quite 3 months old, and he's 325g already. He seems HUGE to me..
GsMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2016, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I tried to edit, because I dropped a paragraph somewhere, but missed the time limit. The end of that last post was supposed to say:

When I was cleaning out the house, after my first hedgehog passed away, I gathered up the last quills he'd lost, and I used the quills in a weaving project to make a little memory charm for him. My new baby just finished up his first baby quilling, and I've been gathering his baby quills for another charm. I went to put them away the other day, and pulled out the charm I made before, and noticed my baby's newly grown quills are about twice the size of my first boy's adult quills.

The way this baby's growing, I'm starting to think his adult quills are going to be the size of 10 penny nails..
Old 07-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I can easily change her off the Royal Vanin Baby Cat. I was using it for the higher fat content. Our other 2 girls eat 4Health grainfree indoor cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsMom View Post
Even though it's a less than ideal time, you may want to consider getting her off the Royal Canin and onto a higher quality food. It's not unusual for brewers rice, wheat, corn, and glutens to cause skin issues when they're used in isolation, and they make up 4 of the first 5 ingredients in Royal Canin baby cat.

I'm going through the exact opposite experience with my new baby, as far as size. My first hedgehog was so small when I got him, I thought his previous owners couldn't possibly be right about his age. He was underweight when I got him, but even when I got him to healthy weight, he was never more than 150g. My new baby is not quite 3 months old, and he's 325g already. He seems HUGE to me..
Old 07-03-2016, 05:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

There's a sticky thread in the diet and nutrition with recommended foods, arranged by protein/fat content. That might help to pick a food with the same fat content as the Royal Canin, but with better ingredients.

My own personal experience crosses many species, and the issues with corn, wheat, and various glutens in the diet wreaking havoc on the skin is not a species-specific issue and I've seen people spend thousands and thousands of dollars on vet care, medications, special shampoos, etc. trying to resolve skin problems, when all they really needed was a higher quality food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in