Orange Sticky Gunk on Quills - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jtisle506
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Orange Sticky Gunk on Quills

So recently I bought my first Hedgehog and I am loving him (Squeaks). I got him about a week ago and he has been extremely friendly everyday...I hold him, hand feed him, and he never goes into a ball. The only time he gets a little grumpy is when I wake him up....I leave him alone for about 5 minutes and then hes fine. However open inspection today I noticed on his back a couple quills where almost like stuck together. I looked into it and appeared to be some orange sticky gunking stuff. I ruled out blood but I have no idea what this is. It doesnt seem serious just weird. Could it be a foreign substance or mites or something? I think I will give him a bath today later and try to get rid of it. His cage is a 30x18 plastic bin on the bottem and wire on top and sides. He has a simple wheel in there now and I already ordered a Carolina Bucket wheel. As for bedding its Carefresh which is being switched over to fleece soon as I ordered some custom fleece bedding with absorbant middles off eBay the other day. He already is going potty in his litter pan which bewilders me how smart he is. High quality Kitten food mix. Thats about it. Like I said I will get pictures up later...I dont think its anything serious but I'm taking precaution. Forgot to mention he is 8 weeks old. (I also posted this on the skin thread since I didnt know which this fell under)
jtisle506 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Heres the two pictures.
http://imgur.com/irDiHnp
http://imgur.com/kbQTghW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4547.jpg (219.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4548.jpg (180.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 06-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I deleted your other thread, only one posting is needed.

Yup, it looks like mites to me, which requires a vet visit for medication. Make absolutely sure that the vet gives you Revolution for him, NOT Ivermectin. Ivermectin can be given orally, topically, or injected, but it's dangerous due to how it works & has caused numerous hedgehog deaths. Injected is most dangerous, but it's best to avoid all forms completely. Revolution is only topical & much safer to use.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was thinking mites after what I was reading this morning. Is it a bad case or does it look not too bad. Thats the only spot I found on him and he seems to be not itching. Vet is closed today however I left a message. Is this like an deathly case appt needed like tomorrow or will an appt Wednesday (I have work off) ok? Or should I take off work for tomorrow...
Old 06-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

He should be okay for a few days. If this is the only spot & he's not frantically itching, they must not be too bad yet. Mites aren't seriously threatening unless it's a very serious case & they're all over the place. Wednesday should be just fine.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just got back from the Vet today and indeed he has mites. The vet game him Revolution which was the kind that comes in liquid form that she put over his back but not injected. He seems to be doing well after i brought him home but time will tell. Vet said give him 3 weeks and come back for a checkup. Hopefully those suckers will be gone. I came home kept him in the box and washed every single thing he ever touched and lysol wiped all around his cage...hopefully they are all dead if they were around. Thanks for the help and hopefully squeaks can get over this hump.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad you got his treatment started! Mites can be hard to get rid of sometimes, so I would recommend cleaning his cage more frequently than you already do, to catch new mites as they hatch. You'll almost definitely need one more treatment when he goes back for his checkup, and if the vet is reluctant, I would insist. Revolution kills hatched mites & adults, but not the eggs - so when the eggs hatch, there will be more to get rid of. Hopefully they won't give you too much trouble!
nikki likes this.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow...sounds like lice. Ughhh
Classic Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in