4 months & quilling again - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By We.love.Ginko

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question 4 months & quilling again

Hi there!

So I've had my hedgehog since he was 6 weeks old and when we first got him he was already baby quilling, he was losing about 10 to 20 quills a day and whenever we would take him out of his cage we would end up with quills on us. That lasted about 4 to 5 weeks and then it pretty much stopped, even though we would find a quill or two in his cage once in a while.

Now that he is 4 months old, he started quilling again? He loses about 5 quills a day. He have been loosing long quills for about a week or two now and it can't be mites (at least I hope). I can see through his quills and there are nothing different than usual, also he is not balding, new quills are growing back everywhere.

Nothing changed in his environment, the shaving is the same (I use fleece and sometimes a little bit of shaving for him to burrow). His skin is not very dry, I mean he is leucistic (white with very pink colored skin) and so his skin is more sensitive than other hedgehogs but it's not as dry as when he was baby quilling (at the time, I would but a little bit of olive oil in his food and rinse him with water and vitamin E to help).

Also, he never was grumpy when he was baby quilling. In fact I never saw him being grumpy at all so I can't really rely on behavior change to assume he is indeed quilling again...

So my question is, should I be worried or is it normal for him to be quilling again? Also, if it is, how long should this last and would it be possible for him to have a third quilling period in the future?

Thank you!
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi there, I just want to know if I should worry or not? I read somewhere that hedgehog quilled more than once, but never after 3 months old?
Old 06-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh goodness, no, they can go through multiple rounds of quilling all the way up through the first year. And after that they will still drop a few quills here and there and grow in new ones. That goes on for their whole lives. You've got nothing to worry about.

Now, if you see an excessive loss of quills that result in bare patches, then that is a problem and will require a vet visit.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are no bare patches, and new quills are growing in. I did not know they could have multiple rounds of quilling until they are 1 year old? Well then I guess I don't have anything to worry about now (since he is not scratching, or show any other signs of mites).

Thank you!
MomLady likes this.
We.love.Ginko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in