1 year old losing quills - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2015, 01:41 PM  

Default 1 year old losing quills

I just rescued 3 hedgehogs from a very bad situation about 2 weeks ago. They all have been doing a lot better since I've had them. One of them has not been doing as well as the other two. They were all never played with and sat in a cage so there very shy. I work with each of them everyday. The girl that hasn't been like the other two though still will not even let me hold her or touch her. Today when I had her out I put her on my pants to let her try and calm down. I realized once I did that she had lost 2 quills already. I've had her out for about 15 minutes now and she's lost more then 10 quills. I don't think it's mites though. The other 2 would also have mites too and they show no signs. She also has a lot of quills, there is no spots where there are some missing. She doesn't have dry skin either. I'm not sure if it could be from stress and she's not adjusting as well as the other two? As suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
zoesmommy99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 01:16 AM  

My Alfred has been doing well since I got him as well, he is about a year and a half now. He still balls up at any movement or sound I make so I have only been able to hold him with my bare hands a couple of times (and half of those times he has bit me boo), I pick him up with a tee shirt every evening and have him out for at least a half hour, usually sitting on my lap. Tonight when I picked him up, there was almost 40 quills all over his cage and he lost about 5 within a few minutes of picking him up! He usually sits so well with me, relaxes and it seems like he goes to sleep, but not tonight, almost constantly whirring and curled up! So I am curious what other more experienced Hedgie owners might suggest...
HappieHedgie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2015, 02:48 PM  

I would get a skin scraping done at the vets for Alfred. Try bonding processes like hand feeding favourite foods, one thing that worked for me is sitting with my hog on my lap with a blanket over them and just watching tv with them, boris and hershey bonded really quickly this way.

With the little girl could it be a fungal skin infection? Or I have had a hog that quilled at 1y2m because of the changing seasons, kind of like a dog moulting. If you are worried or all three start developing the symptoms I would visit the vet just to be sure they are ok.
Hoglover21 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in