Do's and Don'ts for Quilling? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do's and Don'ts for Quilling?

So I'm pretty sure Luna is beginning to quill. I don't know how excessive it is or how long it lasts but she definitely has dry dry skin and is losing a few quills here and there. I already gave her an oatmeal bath but her skin is still very dry and I want to try flax (?) oil. How would I do that?

Also I know it is normal for her to be grumpy during this time, but recently she stopped eating her mealworms that she would eat every day if we let her previously. Today is the second day. She eats her cat food and drinks normally so I'm not concerned about her intake, just that I know she loves her mealworms and now she turns her nose up at them. Is that normal?

We still are having problems with her exercise amount but nothing we do will help her want to use her wheel or move about on her own. Is this because of the quilling? Is there anything else we can do to ease her discomfort so she will want to be awake more often?

I do also want to mention that she isn't losing a profuse amount of quills; we have only seen about five or six come out, but I can definitely see some growing in when she curls into a ball (which she is doing a lot more in the last two days). Is quilling maybe over for her or just starting?

Thanks to everyone who replies.
stellistyle101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I never had a problem with quilling as far as excessive grumpiness goes, my hedgehog is very laid back and seldom huffs or balls up, the only indication I had that quilling was underway was the shedding of quills. Unfortunately, sometimes quilling can get really hard for some hedgies. Usually the go to treatment is warm oatmeal baths, flax oil (either in the bath water rinse, or on the food), and lots of treats. From what I have heard, bonding is just as important during this time as any other time, but you should go easy on the little guy. Hopefully you can get more advice, like I said, quilling was a breeze for me.
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
exercise, quilling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in