Excessive Quill Loss, Dry Skin, Bad Behavior! Help :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Kalandra
  • 2 Post By nikki
  • 2 Post By Pandamom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Excessive Quill Loss, Dry Skin, Bad Behavior! Help :(

Hey everyone, First time poster here... Harley was born this past October and he has been a charm up until the past 2 months.... he now barley uncurls with human presence, his skin is very flaky and he his losing a (what I think looks like) concerning amount of quills. He went from being my little baby, to a bit of a nightmare. I have pictures to help describe his issue. I want to avoid seeing a vet as they are pretty costly. I treat him extremely well, I purchased flax seed oil that I sprinkle on his food occasionally now but nothing seems to be working? A pet store employee told me that his grumpy attitude and quill loss is normal but I don't feel he is a credible source and I'm getting rather worried.

Todays Pile of Quills

Dry Skin

My Baby (He is a lot bigger now) picture taken 4 months ago
Toeviskee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
I want to avoid seeing a vet as they are pretty costly.
Unfortunately, you are going to need to spend some money at a veterinarian's office to have him examined and treated.

I agree, that is a lot of quill loss, but I am also noticing a large amount of skin attached to the quills, and floating about in that pile. His skin also looks crusty, with bits of yellowish mixed in the flakes on him and appears to be thinning. To me this could indicate that there are mites, or infection happening there. Or it could be a mix of the two.

Take him in for a veterinary visit. They should want to do a skin scraping to rule out mites, and I would expect to have Revolution prescribed, or an antibiotic (or both).

Mites or infection, both could be causing him to be grumpy. They can also cause a hedgehog to be less active as they don't feel well.
nikki, shetland and Lilysmommy like this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

As usual Kalandra is right! I just wanted to add if your vet does treat for mites don't let them use Ivermec or Ivermectin. This is an injection so don't let your vet give him a "shot" for mites. Use Revolution as Kalandra mentioned. There have been numerous deaths attributed to using Ivermec (Ivermectin) injections. Revolution is a liquid that is applied to the skin, usually between the shoulder blades.
shetland and Lilysmommy like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Your baby's skin looks frighteningly uncomfortable.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow, his skin does seem fairly bad. I would suggest you get him into the vet as soon as you can, they are pricey but in the long run, putting it off will only make the vet bill triple. As kalandra and Nikki said, it does look like mites or a possible skin infection, both of which need a vet to be treated. So even if you do treat him extremely well, all attempts will only be futile. You can apply for hedgehog insurance at VPI Insurance for only $9 a month with a $15 first activation fee, it's a lifesaver. The only thing is that it takes 14 days for the hedgehog to get coverage and since you've already waited 2 months, I'm not so sure you should wait much longer.
liam1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Your little one looks exactly like our Pippin. We had him to the vet, cost about $175 just last week. We realized that we needed medical attention regardless of the cost. Yes vets are expensive but so are our little pets! And yes, they are worth it! Pippin was given revolution, with 2 more doses in the next few weeks, and also Sunshine factor for good skin health. So far so good, no major changes tho. Your pics are exactly like what we saw....take sweet Harley in to a vet and get him feeling better!
nikki and shetland like this.
Pandamom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in