Quilling excessively for a over month - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2015, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quilling excessively for a over month

My hedgehog is a little over 10 months now and for a little over the past month he's been losing A LOT of quills. When we take him out, in the one hour of play time we usually have, he may lose up to 20 quills. However, he does not have any bald patches nor is he abnormally itchy, and I did a mite test and didn't see anything move. We use fleece bedding as well, so I'm not too concerned that it could be mites. I've noticed that he also have been losing more fur from his belly and sides. Again, there isn't any bald patches though.

He did have really dry skin for a while but putting a humidifier and using flax seed oil helped him so he is pretty moisturized now. I'm wondering if this could possibly be related to switching his foods? We originally had him eat Chicken soup for the cat lovers soup weight management and blue buffalo, but he didn't like the blue buffalo so we added Nature Balance Green pea and duck. We integrated it in, so it wasn't just cut off. Could it also be he's getting his quills in preparation for summer? Don't know if hedgehogs can lose a "winter coat" but being on the East coast, maybe he can feel the difference in humidity? I'm really scared why he's losing so many quills.

Last edited by khallesihedgie; 04-16-2015 at 11:29 PM.
khallesihedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2015, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sorry to hear your little hedgie is losing so many quills Gimli is actually having the same problem right now. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience, but I'll tell you what I have learned since I have owned my hedgehog. He could possibly have a fungal issue and mites can't always be seen so he might still have them. Gimli has had fleece bedding as well, but there is always a possibility of mites hiding in catfood or other places around the house. A skin scraping and fungal culture can be done at the vet to possibly get an answer as to what he might have. My breeder told me that at his age, your hedgehog should not be losing so many quills. I have researched the same online and found that some owners have a theory that hedgehogs go through a second quilling process, but the vet and my breeder have told me otherwise.

Below is a link to my thread. It might give you an idea as to what the vet might prescribe and/or do if you choose to take him in.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...vet-visit.html

I hope he feels better!
SushE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just wanted to post what happened in case someone finds this post and has a hedgehog with similar symptoms. We took him to the vet and they tested for mites and other skin/ fungal tests. All the tests came up negative and she didn't see any mites so she she said his quills loss is probably from too much oil. We had been putting olive oil or flax seed oil on him every time he looked dry so I guess his skin was over saturated. She told us to go home and give him a bath with soap (we use Aveeno oatmeal wash) and wash off all the oil and then a bath the next day without soap. If he still was loosing quills, we were to give him the mite treatment. But after the baths he stopped losing quills! So if your having this problem, maybe try stopping any oils you're putting on your hedgie because that may be why there is significant quill loss.

Last edited by khallesihedgie; 04-25-2015 at 11:42 PM.
khallesihedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dry skin, hair loss, quill loss, quilling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in