Dry skin/losing quills.. Vet said no mites? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Dry skin/losing quills.. Vet said no mites?

Hey,

Long story, but my hedgehog Clover has had dry skin for quite some time (think months) that appeared to not really bother her. I decided to give her an oatmeal bath one day when it seemed particularly bad and she hasn't been quite the same since. Almost always balled up, I haven't been able to trim her nails, just overall not herself. The dry skin cleared up for a few days but now is back with a vengeance. I had her checked out by a vet and they said they were unable to see any mites (the vet was also not that familiar with hedgehogs, unlike what I was told by the receptionist).

NOW, she's losing quills by the chunk. Like, 5-6 quills held together by a large piece of dry skin or sometimes yellowish thick skin? There is no open wound or areas where pus would be coming from or any sign of infection.. shes still wheeling and eating and what not... I do plan on getting another vet visit this week but has anyone run into this? I'm hoping its part of why shes so angry, prior to the bath she used to be very adventurous and easy to handle. She is losing adult and baby quills.
Amberella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did the vet do a skin scraping to test for a bacterial of fungal infection? The skin doesn't necessarily need to have open wounds or pus for there to be an infection. If they didn't test for that, I would definitely recommend that as your next step.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ringworm could be another possibility. I would definitely get her back to a vet.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll make her an appointment for this week. Hopefully it wont be anything too terrible.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had her seen by a vet, who needed to sedate her and do skin scrapings (and did not clip her nails like I requested while sedated...) they said they didn't see mites as well, a few samples were sent away to a lab for further testing. They also wanted to treat with ivermectin, and I got into a long argument as to why I would rather they didn't. She got a dose of revolution and seems a bit friendlier, and the dry skin where the quill loss is seems to be gone (still on other areas).

Anyway, I am supposed to follow up in three weeks, but we will see what the lab results say. If they are negative and she is getting better, I will just pick up my revolution. I didn't like that vet.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the update on little Clover!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

One thing I did want to ask.. should I toss her bedding? I buy HUGE bags of Aspen shavings and I JUST opened it. I'd hate to have her continue to have an issue and have it be the bedding.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

The bedding that she has been in might be contaminated. As long as you washed your hands between tossing out the old stuff (or wore gloves) and putting the new stuff in, the bag should be fine.

However, the bedding may be causing the wound not to heal as well as it should be. It might be scraping against it, or may be what caused it. You can always try switching to some softer, like fleece or carefresh and see if it helps.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would switch the bedding to Carefresh or fleece.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would switch to fleece. Carefresh is known to be quite drying to some hedgehogs and it could just cause a new set of problems, even if the current issues are mite-related.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in