Ivermectin Used W/O Consent - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Ivermectin Used W/O Consent

Griswold has had issues pretty much since I got him back in December of 2013. His quills fall out more than they should and they are not growing back nearly as much as they are supposed to causing him to be balding. He has also had very dry skin - at one point flaking off of him like snow.

The first vet I went to gave him his first Revolution dose even though they couldn't find any mites. I didn't go back to them because of their lack of hedgehog knowledge and I didn't like the way they handled him.

The second vet gave him his second and third dose of Revolution. This was a few months ago. We haven't seen much improvement at all so we got a skin scraping - nothing. We got a biopsy done that said he had a skin infection and Occult Mite Infestation (even though no mites were found). This was last week.

Monday I was told over the phone that they would fight the mite issue harder and give him an antibiotic to help his skin infection. I was not told what mite treatment would be used so I assumed a second Revolution round would be the case.

Tuesday I went in to get the antibiotics, have his biopsy spots looked at, culture some quills, and get the revolution. When we got into the examination room, we were asked the normal questions about diet and bathroom activities but then something strange happened - they took him out of the room to do the quill culture. They have never taken him out of my sight to do anything before so I was curious about this. It felt like a while before they came back in the room with him. He was on his blanket surrounded by tons of fallen quills and very upset. The doctor then told me they had cultured his quills which he did very well (doubtful) and they injected him with Ivermectin and I immediately started to tear up.

I told them I didn't want that and they basically just said "sorry" and there was "no other choice". I was furious and couldn't stop crying. They didn't even give me the option to decline. They didn't tell me what they were planning to give my animal. And then I got to pay the $250 bill.

I'm angry and scared. I know what Ivermectin has done to other hedgehogs and I'm extremely worried for my pet's safety. I won't be going back to that vet ever again and I told them so. Of course they tried to tell me that Ivermectin is fine and they use it all the time and the "internet is full of misinformation."

So now I'm vet-less and worried that Griswold might die. I'm at a complete loss right now and just felt like sharing what I have been through this week. I'll keep an eye on Gris and hope that his grumpiness is stronger than that poison.

Clark Gris Griswold | DOB 10.1.13 | OURS 12.23.13
KatandGris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I should also mention I expressed to my second vet that I never wanted Ivermectin to be used on my hedgehog (even though at the time they still tried to convince me it would be fine) months prior to this when we got the second and third does of Revolution.

Clark Gris Griswold | DOB 10.1.13 | OURS 12.23.13
KatandGris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, I am so sorry. Some vets are just stubborn and believe that their way is always the right way. I wish I could do or say something to fix the situation but unfourtunetly I can't.
But I can shed a little light on the situation. Not all hedgehogs die from Ivermectin, and if some do, it's usually after the secound or third shot. Just stay positive. Good luck.
NewHedgieOwner100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is horrible! My vet always asks to tells me what they are going to do to my hedgehog before they do it.
I hope everything turns out okay. Keep an eye on him. Keep us posted.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh that's horrible..! I am so sorry! That is not the proper way for your (ex)vet to respond. They should have told you what they were doing. My vet goes off on such long explanations as to what he's doing, and what's happening inside my hedgehog sometimes I get lost in other thoughts before tuning back in (bad habit, I know, but I always get the important bits), and he's never done anything without me in the room, much less before asking.

I wish you luck in finding a new vet that will listen better. There's a sticky here on the thread for vets by state;

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...3710-ohio.html

There's Ohio, if you want to check it out.

And I hope little Griswold will be okay! Please keep us posted. Your signature picture is absolutely precious by the way (I'm assuming that's Griswold), he's so cute I could cry.

Lady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

You should write a review about that vets office on your local yahoo reviews. If you have time. So hedgehog owners (and other pet owners) researching a vets office in their area can see it.. There is a good chance it could help someone else out one day..

Good luck. Keep us updated
ellisrks01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 01:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry your vet ignored your wishes like that and brushed off your concerns. I agree with NewHedgieOwner - from what I've seen, many of the issues start after the second dose of Ivermectin. It's like their body doesn't completely get rid of the first dose, so the second one is what causes the overdose & starts the problems. So hopefully he should be fine...I would definitely keep an eye on him, though, and look at the list to find a different vet to have on call. I would guess if you don't see any negative reactions in the next 2-3 days, you should be free and clear.

As others have said, vets should ALWAYS explain what they're doing or what they want to prescribe to the owners before doing so. This vet was ridiculous, especially their attitude afterwards. Definitely write up reviews wherever you can.

Sending hugs and good thoughts to you and Griswold. I hope he'll be just fine. Try not to get yourself too stressed out...I know, much easier said than done! Keep us updated on your little guy.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ivermectin, mites, vet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in