Horrific Ivermectin Death - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have to agree with Draenog, shmurciakova and Katten on this.
Ivermectin can not cause mental illnesses, I don't see anything in it that could have any psychological effects on an animals, from being applied topically for 4 months.
Either your hedgehog was severely irritated in her stomach area and, so in result, ending up ripping out her organs or she suffered from a severe mental illness that finally got the best of her.
Nevertheless, I am very sorry for your loss and I hate to post the above, but I feel that people panicking about the fact that their hedgehogs have gotten Ivermectin/are getting is completely unnecessary, as this is a very extreme case, probably not even caused by the medicine.
Everyone, though, please remember Ivermectin is still not recommended and should be avoided(or changed asap)!

RIP Mabel<3
MomLady likes this.

Purranah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I don't completely rule out Ivermectin as possibly being the start of events that led to her death. Perhaps "killing her mentally" may not be good words describe what might have been going on.

Although the Ivermectin did not cause her death immediately, we have seen cases where the hedgehog survives for sometimes weeks suffering from both physical and neurological effects of the Ivermectin. We've heard of cases where the hedgehog had to be euthanized because of the neurological problems the ivermectin triggered. In most of these cases the symptoms have started within a few hours or days. Perhaps in this case, the damage to her internal organs was not enough to kill her outright, but to cause her lingering pain which changed her behaviour and eventually caused her to viciously self mutilate.

While the death may not be and more than likely isn't related to Ivermectin, it can't be ruled out completely that it started the chain of events which eventually led to her death.
nikki, Lilysmommy and PEBBLES83 like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

You can't completely rule out anything, but I personally think it's highly unlikely. Not that it matters much anyway, it's still better to avoid Ivermectin.

I wonder which types of hedgehogs besides APH are sensitive to it 'cause it's commonly used for wild European hedgehogs in rescue centres.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wow thanks for sharing that. Yes. Vets. When asked have u treated x before. Yes for years. IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK FOR SPECIFICS (how many. Success rate. Etc) I had a vet I went to. Before I got my chinchilla neutered. They claimed they have done tons of neuterings. When I asked how many is tons? 2! Okay. That's not very comforting. And my pet isn't going to be your learning platform. I know. Experience is gained through practice. But not at the expense of something that's living and surgeries are out of the question. It's not a lab rat. It's my pet! ) It never hurts to ask for specifics! Always!
PEBBLES83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in