Mites or Something Else? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mites or Something Else?

I've been treating my hedgehog with revolution for the past maybe two months now, and yet there has been no progress with the the "mites". He still continues to lose a lot of quills. He already has a growing patch of quill-less skin on his back. Not so visible, but I know it's there. He's just turned six months on the 14th. Could it be that it's just regular old shedding? I can still see some quills growing along the side of his back.

I brought him to the vet a month before since he was losing fur and I also had him checked up for mites, but he didn't have any. Just to be sure, my vet recommended to put him on revolution and see how that'll affect his fur (just in case the mites were missed during the check up). It grew back, but then he started to lose quills and he has extremely dry skin. Since the problem hasn't gone anywhere and seems to be getting worse, I'm starting to wonder if this sort of quill loss can be caused by something else other than mites. I've checked myself to see if he had any, rubbing his back with a dark cloth and observing said cloth for ridiculous periods of time, waiting to see something move, but nothing. I've done this almost everyday and I'm getting worried that this problem, whatever it is, will never go away.

He has cat food regularly and other fruits, meats, and veggies for variety. He runs on his will constantly (I've been thinking of switching it up to Cat Food for the Cat Lover's Soul). He's been using fleece since the first week I got him. His poop is normal. Cage temperature is 72-74F. I've also tried to go the olive oil way, but nothing seemed to change. His temperament stays the same. Sleep cycle is regular. Eats regularly.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is he scratching at all? Is the quills loss scattered? Quill loss can also be caused by fungal infections. He could also be quilling.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

He's not scratching a lot. If he is, it's nowhere close to the area where a lot of quills have been falling off. The quill loss is scattered along his back. Can it really be a fungal infection?
kyunecho11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

It sounds like quilling to me. You can put some olive oil or flax seed oil in his rinse water when you bathe him or put a few drops on his food. It will help with dry skin. My hedgie is almost 6 months old and he is still quilling.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think he is. The bald patches are really worrying me. But all of the sudden the quilling got reduced to less than ten compared to the fifty I used to see most of the time.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quilling doesn't usually cause bald patches. Do you see quills growing back in at all? Does his skin look different in any way besides the dryness - are there any little red spots, any weird colors, etc.? Two other possibilities are bacterial infections or fungal infections, and if it's fungal, you don't want to put oil directly on his back since it'll seal it in. Personally, I'd take him back in to the vet, just in case, and have him check for either of those two things. If it's not those, it might just be chronic dry skin. Flaxseed or olive oil can sometimes help, but others have found that they don't always do much - Humilac is a popular product these days, and I've only seen one report (on the forum, haven't checked elsewhere) of a hedgie reacting badly to it (assumed allergic reaction). So you could give that a try if fungal/bacterial get ruled out.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
mites, quill loss, quilling, revolution

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in