New hedgehog recently got a shot for mites - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgehog recently got a shot for mites

A little bit of back story, I recently "rescued" a hedgehog from a friend whose family could not take of the hedgehog and I guess the "novelty" wore off. The hedgehog is 5 years old and, to be honest, he is not in good shape. There is a big patch of missing quills in his back where I can see his bare skin and his skin is very flakey. I knew this was an obvious problem so I took him to the vet two days ago, on 5/21/2020. The vet told me he had a very very bad mites infestation and bacterial infection on his skin. The vet told me she gave the hedgehog a shot for mites. Me not knowing a lot about the shot, I was simply happy because he was getting the treatments he finally needed. After a few days passed, I became more curious about the shot he got and found on this forum that usually hedgehogs get shot of "ivermectin" for mites infestation.
Now, I don't know if the shot is ivermectin, the paper just says its an injection.
Last night was the night where he was the most active than I've ever seen.

Are there any other shot for mites that is not ivermectin, if so are they safe? Should I ask for Revolution instead? Am I just paranoid? And how long does it take for the shot to take effects because I still see tiny tiny white dots moving on his back? (it seems like people on the forum is very anti-ivermectin). I just want the best for my senior hedgie ):

Sorry if this was a long and chaotic read. I'm having a small panic attack.
dooiy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I don't think I've ever seen another drug given that is injection for mites. It most likely was ivermectin. Google the side effects of ivermectin to watch for. Be aware of them, and contact your vet if you see them. The big issue with ivermectin is that it is very easy to overdose. It is my understanding that while reactions can happen after the first dose, it is more likely to happen on the follow up doses.

When you go back, I suggest calling the clinic and ask if they can prescribe revolution for her instead. Revolution is safer to give, but the other nice thing is most vets tend to sell you a small tube of it and you can do the follow up dosages at home. You may just need to stop by the clinic to pick it up instead of taking her back in too. No need to stress the hedgehog with additional trips to the vet.

You should be seeing a reduction in mites now. How does she feel about water? I don't often recommend bathing hedgehogs as most don't like it and it tends to dry their skin, but an oatmeal bath may help soothe her itchy skin and wash away some of those nasty mites you are seeing.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you! I just kept worrying and freaking out because I want the best life for this hedgehog for his rest because it seems like he wasn't really well taken care of.

At the vet, they told me he wouldn't uncurl even in shallow water.
I wish I could give him an oatmeal bath but not sure how to. He seems like he had no human interaction and is very reluctant for any affection(at least for now, I've been trying to bond with him ever since I got him). He had very long toenails and poop stains on his quills. If I were to give him an oatmeal bath, are there tips to give it to a angry and scared hedgehog? I fear he might drown

Old 05-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Right now you are right he's scared, and very uncomfortable to boot. Getting those mites down will help him feel better and hopefully he'll associate that with his new home and you. Otherwise take it slow,. He may never fully trust you, but you may find little triumphs. The image in my signature is the very first time I saw that hedgehogs nose. It took many months. And I got lucky I was taking images of another when he poked his nose out.

How long has he been with you? I normally don't like bathing new rescues too soon as its scary and they have enough to deal with. But I'll be honest I have had a couple that were bathed the night they arrived.. Their smell was so rank that being that dirty couldn't be healthy. The water so gross that I gave them a second bath immediately. One went from being grouchy to wow this feels better you are ok attitude.

For bathing, I'd hold him and scoop warm water into a cup or just cup your hand and pour it over him. He may uncurl just from getting wet. If he does, gently lower his rump into the water. Go slow, talk to him softly telling him what you are doing.

Snuffle!
Old 05-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've had him for a week exactly now! I've been holding him daily whether he was grumpy or not.
As for giving him a light water bath, I've seen many people use toothbrush to scrub, but he has a lot of exposed skin.. I shouldn't use the toothbrush bristle to brush out his mites right? Will the water wash away mites? I've also heard olive oil helps(?)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I use a soft bristled tooth brush with mine. You want very soft, something for baby mouths works great. Use your best judgement based on what you think his skin condition is in. You may just end up rinsing him off to try to wash away what is already loose if his skin is very sore.

I've never used olive oil, but I know many have and it used to be used a lot with the belief it would suffocate some of the mites. I have no idea if it really works as I have never done it.

The water won't fix his mite issue, but if you are seeing them crawling around it may help dislodge some of those and provide some temporary relief from the irritation they can cause.

Snuffle!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in