mange mites! 😭 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HedgieHog05

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2019, 05:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default mange mites! 😭

hey guys.

Yesterday I discovered that my male albino hedgehog has mites.

This was already late when I found out so the vet was closed. His skin was red and flaky and raw, I felt so bad for him. 😭 I even started to cry. I also feel extremely angry at myself for not noticing it earlier.
I had handled and held him every day before this and didn't notice. Two days ago, I noticed small flakes on his skin and thought it was dry skin and added coconut oil onto his food to try and help regain moisture. Sadly, this wasn't the case for him.
I immediately went onto different websites (when I discovered the mites, not when I thought it was dry skin) like this one and others to see what I could do about the mites. Nothing. I couldn't do anything to treat him or help soothe his sore skin. I felt so useless. Only the vet could do something for him.

So first thing this morning (so the next day) me dad and Darwin (hedgehog) went to the vet. The vet diagnosed him with mange mites. She continued to give him a dosage of ointment on the skin via a needless syringe and this medicine is usually used for small cats. It is supposed to kill the mites. I was just glad he didn't have to get an injection. She also said that he has a secondary infection and gave me a germical treatment shampoo called F10 which is supposed to get rid of any bacterial or fungal infections he has. She said to bath him with it twice a week for a few weeks until he gets better then slowly bring it down to one, then to when needed. But I think I'll wait a few days until the skin ointment actually is in action before I wash him.

I really really hope he gets better. I don't know what I'd do without him. I love him so much and it hurts me to see him like this.
If you guys have any advice at all about anything or if you've had an experience like this, or any advice on what I can do to make this easier or more comfortable for my hedgie, please please please don't be afraid to give me some.
shetland likes this.
HedgieHog05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in