Vet prescribed ivermectin. Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vet prescribed ivermectin. Help!

I took my hedgie in for mites after I found them in her roach habitat. The vet prescribed oral ivermectin and flat out refused to listen to me about the potential of revolution because she might ingest it. I gave her a dose last night, but after reading everything about how dangerous ivermectin is, I’m absolutely horrified that I put her at risk in the first place. I’m calling my other vet tomorrow to see if they can prescribe revolution, hopefully without seeing her, but I’m willing to take her there too. She acted normal last night after the medicine, ate fine, drank. Should I be concerned about any lingering side effects, or is discontinuing at this point all I need to do? I’m so mad that risk assessment isn’t more prevalent with vets prior to prescribing medicine and that I didn’t do my due diligence searching further into the medicine prior to dosing her.
alyandgus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

One dose shouldn't be harmful but it's best to get her to the other vet and get revolution. Of course keep a close eye on her for any changes you notice.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you! She is acting quite normal today (I woke her up first thing this morning to check on her) and is eating well tonight. The medicine was foaming out of her mouth last night after I gave it to her as though she was going to try to anoint with it but didn’t. It alarmed me enough to start my search in the first place. I’m so over her being sick for any reason (we just finished 2 months of antibiotics for an oral abscess). I’ll definitely be contacting her vets tomorrow!

Old 08-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Poor baby's been through a lot. Hope all goes well tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

She really has. It breaks my heart, but she really is pulling through extremely well. She isn’t interested in her wheel currently, which is odd for her, but she is eating well and is extremely easy to handle since she’s been around me so often recently. My first hedgie was a social project, always prickly, slowly unballing to explore only if I was absolutely still, silent, and not touching her. This girl is in my hair, on my shoulder, down my shirt within minutes of getting her up and almost never crosses her quills. I’m really fortunate that she is so tolerant of me with all that she’s had to endure lately. I had to hospitalize her for a night when she was ill, and she actually nuzzled my hand and started her happy squeaks when she smelled me the next day (probably can blame the pain killers from her surgery). They might not “love” us so much, but the little bits of trust are precious.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is indeed precious. My little boy is a grumpy little hog but it's so heartwarming when he opens up to me as soon as he recognizes my scent. He still doesn't like me touching him much after three years together but he'll tolerate a couple of kisses from me. He also got discovered with a mass in his mouth so we're currently waiting on the biopsy results. He's pulling through well and I'm super grateful. She sounds like an absolute cutie. Best of luck!
Old 08-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Best of luck with yours too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in