Quilling or Mites - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quilling or Mites

Hello! My hedgehog, Wallace, has been scratching recently. At first, I thought this was because of dry skin and i treated it with some oil, but he seems to keep scratching. While cleaning out his cage earlier, I found at least 50 quills. A few months ago I thought he was quilling and that he finished, but it was just like this... I looked for mites but I couldn't find any... He's around 6-7 months old. Any help is appreciated!
lizanra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2019, 03:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Can you see the bulb (little ball at bottom of quill) on all the quills. If not then its likely mites as they generally but not always chew off the bulb.

How much is he scratching ?? Hedgehogs to scratch a little without mites, this is natural, its like us scratching a few times, with mites they tend to scratch a lot more.

What do you mean you checked for mites, you went to a vet and got a skin scrape to test, or you put him on a black background rubbed his back and watched the white flaxes, or something else ??

Have you checked for new quills coming in ?? If you can see the new ones coming in its likely to just be quilling not mites.

Last edited by Ria; 02-24-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wait, how big are mites? Are they microscopic or can you see them with the naked eye? Just asking cause I always keep my boy watch and I haven't seen stuff crawling on him so I scratched off mites, but if they are microscopic I'll have to visit a vet to check it.
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 05:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

They are microscopic you can't actually look at your hedgehogs back and see them walking around, and even if you do the put on black paper or towl and rub them then watch the flakes you dont always pick it up because you wont always notice them. Its a very slim chance you would see them.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

He's scratching quite a bit.. I timed him last night because he typically does it all in one go, and he was scratching for 15 minutes 😳😳 Should I take him to see the vet anyways? The bulb at the bottom of the quills is still there, and when I rubbed his back I couldn't see anything...
lizanra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

The scratching and lossage of quills is definitely an indication of mites and your hedgehog should be taken to the vet. It could be something else, but if your hedgehog is quilling, they won’t scratch a whole ton. They’ll scratch a little bit from time to time, but not to an extent.

If your hedgehog has already quilled before, then something is probably going on. It would be safe to take your hedgie to the vet.
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

@ Ria

Ah alright, thank you!

@ Shaymin_Lover

Can't they quill more than once? I see quills on my boy's blankets for a week, then it goes away for a while then it comes back, goes away again, ect.
Is it like dogs losing hair when the seasons change, shedding their coat, or is there something wrong?
Old 02-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

Everything you need to know about loosing quills - These are key points, not missing anything, that I found out.

As babies they have nemuroud quilling phases, the last one beinh at 12 weeks. Babies are almost in a constant state of quilling as they go from one to another. The 12 week quilling is the one that seems to make them the most miserable.
Some hedgehogs will go through another quilling at a year old
Most hedgehogs do loose quills throughout their life, some more than others
Often hedgehogs will loose fur/shed in the spring or when the weather gets hot. They can also loose quills too.
Nutritional deficiencies can make them loose quills too as well as mites, skin infections and hormonal imbalances.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh ok, thank you! That's really helpful. I was starting to worry since all I read was hedgies only losing quills when they're babies. And my boy loses quills all around, and I'm sure he's already mature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in