Mites or just plain paranoia - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mites or just plain paranoia

Hi everyone, I am a new hedgie mom... I got Tazz as a gift on Sunday, as per my estimation he is around 1 yr old, I have no indication or knowledge of his actual age. Yesterday I realised that he has lost one of his spines and till now he has lost 5 more that I can spot. I have read on multiple sites about mites, shedding and quilling and I cannot come to a conclusion.

The spines he has lost all have the bulbs on and no powder residue, although if I scratch at the bulb's end with my nail it seems asif though it might have a piece of flakey skin attached to it.

When I first got him I saw that his skin was very pink with a reddish shade to it and it seemed dry, I bathed him with a foaming baby shampoo that contains wheat bran (which I received from his previous owner). I added the shampoo to the water instead of applying it directly on him, I also added a few drops of coconut oil to the water. This didn't seem to help much.

His eating habbits seem in good shape, as well as his bowel movements and he doesn't show signs of lethargy. I haven't noticed him scratching or biting himself and only once has he licked himself.

He seems aggravated and hisses at us when we try to pick him up, not as much as when we got him the first day. His behavior seems to be fine considering he is still adjusting to a new home. When out of his cage he does show some signs of curiosity, but only for a short while before burrowing himself under his blanket and then only peeps out now and then.

I am not sure wether this could just be stress related caused by his rehousing and maybe he is just overwhelmed, if he is just shedding or if he has mites.

He used to live in a colder and wetter climate before coming to us. We live in a semi-tropical climate on a farm, where the air is very dry and warm, could this cause dry skin?

I am very worried and would appreciate any light on this matter thank you.
Genevieve_djss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2018, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Since you've just recently got Tazz and you don't have any knowledge of his history, I think it would be worth it to take him to the vet. That way you could also confirm if he has mites or not, if he has a skin infection or some other issue; overall it would keep you informed on his health status.

I would say that in my opinion he sounds like he's got some dry skin going on, especially since you mentioned the dry air, lack of noticeable scratching, and the quill loss doesn't seem to sound like too much. However, he could still have mites and I wouldn't know because I can't see him and I'm not a vet.
**If for some reason he does have mites, please stay away from Ivermectin because hedgehogs react badly to it and can/will die. Revolution is a better and safe option.

Rehoming definitely stresses them out, but he sounds like he's adjusting. Remember to not bathe him too often, and you can always try adding some oil directly to his skin using a dropper or some sort. Just don't put too much oil or his skin won't be able to breathe.

Munchkin
(also known as "Munchy", "Crunchy", "Crunch Wrap Supreme" & "The Cranky Crayon")
Born on 10/09/17.

The Canadian Quill Zone: On Hiatus due to grieving.
Etsy | Facebook | Instagram

RIP Marcy (Marceline).
Gone, but never forgotten.
I wish the stars had visiting hours so that we could play again.
10/23/14 - 11/20/17
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanx so much for your advice.. I was able to come in contact with the previous owner, she informed me that he will be turning 2 in November and that he hasn't had any health issues in the past.

His skin looks alot better and so does the quill loss, he has also warmed up to us a lot. My fiance and him are the best of friends..

Although he seems better I am still monitoring his condition, as I am terrified of him getting mites..

Thank you again
Genevieve_djss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in