Ivermectin - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ivermectin

Hi! Im freaking out because i took my little ellie to the vet monday morning. She is one year and two months old. The vet said she had mites and casually gave her an ivermectin shot. She's supposed to go back monday for her second dose. After now reading all about the injection and seeing that it can kill hedgies I am so nervous for ellie. She has been very lethargic since the first dose. She did go on her wheel for a while last night and is eating and drinking regularly. Just is very sleepy. I'm going to call the vet in the morning and hopefully get her switched to Revolution. Has anyone given their hedgehog one dose of ivermectin? What were the results? Any advice? Very nervous for my baby!!!
elliethehedgiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've never had this issue personally, but I think one dose won't kill your hedgie. Just ask for Revolution from now on. It's a good thing you caught it fast.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Most reactions happen after the second dose but there have been a few after the first dose was given. All you can do is watch your hedgehog closely and make sure she's eating and drinking normally. If you vet insists on giving more Ivermectin you may need to find a different vet.
Prue likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

to be quit frankly honest, i have not seen any articles anywhere saying ivermectin is bad for hedgehogs, only on this forum. and it seems that no one is citing where this information is coming from. many hedgehogs have been given ivermectin shots and are perfectly fine. Just because possibly one or two got sick does not mean it is bad. I have yet to see any information explaining that it is bad aside from hedgehog forums. If a few people die from chocolate, does that mean you will stop eating it all together?
sapsapy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There are three posts stickied at the top of this forum section on hedgehogs that died from injections. Some of it has been through word of mouth, etc. The thought process of most people is that we don't care of it was only 2-3 (and I know I've heard of more than that). There are safer alternatives available - Revolution is the most popular. So there's no reason to use one that HAS had such negative outcomes.

Ivermectin works by paralyzing the mites. When an overdose happens, it paralyzes the hedgehog. When it's injected, it's such a small amount that it can be easy to give an accidental overdose, which then affects the hedgehog. We're also not sure if hedgehogs are more sensitive to it for some reason, or perhaps the drug doesn't leave their system as fast as it does for other small mammals - most occurrences seem to happen during the second injection, not the first.

The thing about both medications, Ivermectin & Revolution, is that using them on hedgehogs is "off-label use". There's no actual scientific studies done on their use with hedgehogs, or proven that they're safe for hedgehogs. They're developed for livestock & for cats/dogs. Most medications used on exotics are this way, because there's money in doing the research for livestock, or for extremely popular pet animals like cats & dogs, not so much for exotics. That means there's no definite dosage specific to hedgehogs - dosage is calculated by weight, but like I said, hedgehogs may be more sensitive to it, or may not get it out of their system as fast, or something. There are no articles or studies done because there simply isn't going to be any done - there's no money for someone to spend the resources on it.

You don't have to believe that it's an issue, nor do you have to listen. If you want to use it & take the risk, it's up to you & and it's on you if it does have a negative effect. We warn people because we don't see a point in people taking the risk unknowingly when there's a better alternative. That's why we have the warnings about it on the forum.
nikki and Yukidama's mama like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ivermectin, mites

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in