Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Anesthesia Help Needed!
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
AngelaH

Default Anesthesia Help Needed!

Quick background: I have a rescue that came to me just skin and bone, nearly starved. I realized he couldn't eat hard food and when I added water he gobbled his food down like a champ. Fast forward 2 months, he's up to a healthy weight and eats a healthy amount but still can't chew, even through a mealworm. Now a tooth broke apart.

We went to the vet for a dental check. She gave him Sevoflurane (anesthetic gas), but she said it seemed to have little effect on him, she gave him more and he did not relax or cooperate. Said he must have a very quick metabolism. She then injected him with Butorphanol (a pain med), but he still didn't relax enough for her to work with him. Next she injected him with Telazol (a sedative). At that point she was able to inspect his mouth. He is missing a few teeth and have a few loose ones. She was not able to extract or take x-rays because he never fully passed out.

It's now been 9 hours and he is still extremely 'drugged' and out of it.

She wants us to come back so they can use a different drip anesthetic that she thinks will work better so she can do the extractions and get x-rays.

My question is.... Does anyone know what anesthetic and doses are typically used and work well? I'm scared to put him through this risk any further, yet I don't like that he is dealing with teeth issues.
AngelaH is offline   Reply With Quote