Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - how to check the fangs of a difficult hedgie?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowley is loved

Unhappy how to check the fangs of a difficult hedgie?

ok, so i have a teeth q?

how am i suppose to check Crowley's teeth when she won't let me anywhere near her mouth?

she seems to eat fine and i can see her 'fangs'- the front two teeth- but she won't open her mouth enough for me to see her other teeth to check that they are all ok or if they need to be cleaned ect.

she doesn't let me near her nose or feet- i have to scruff her to even clip her nails but i can't force her mouth open and since she's not naturally a bitter i don't wanna give her a reason to think she needs to bite my fingers :/
the way I get her to calm down is to put my finger by her noes so she can smell its me and calm down but i can't touch her face or she freaks.

I also don't wanna put the stress on her of taking her to the vet and put under just so they can check her teeth when there's probably nothing wrong.

so i guess my question is will she be fine if i don't check her teeth?
if so, what would be signs that something was wrong with her teeth?
any tips for if i have to check to get her mouth open?

Crowley eats fine, doesn't seem to have problems chewing- though she does get crumbs everywhere.
and if it's important Crowley is roughly 7 months old - but all my research showed they can have/get teeth problems at any age, so yeah.

Im kinda at a loss with this one ;/ so any help, info and tips would be great and very helpful
Crowley is loved is offline   Reply With Quote