How do I get my Hedgehog to float on her back? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation How do I get my Hedgehog to float on her back?

I got my first hedgehog three days ago, how often should I give her baths? and how should I do it, I was told to let her float on her back in the water, but she doesnt want to. What do I do?.
CocoaTheHedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Er. Who told you to let her float on her back? Hedgehogs should NOT float on their back in the water unless they're completely comfortable with water.

For baths, most people fill a sink or bathtub with at most an inch or two of warm water. Make sure it's not higher than her face - she should be able to stand comfortably in the water. Do not make her swim - most hedgehogs are not fans of water or baths, and panic during them. Swimming won't make it any better if she's afraid of the water. Check the water with the inside of your wrist or elbow - if it's too hot to your skin there, it's too hot for her. It's best to use a little cup to pour water over them. If you need some kind of soap, most people use Aveeno oatmeal body wash or a variation of that.

Bath frequency just kind of depends. Most of the time they don't need a full bath unless they're getting poop, urine, or annointing things all over their quills. Most hedgehogs need daily footbaths to clean poopy feet - that only needs a half inch to an inch of warm water, and you don't need to get all of them wet, just soak their feet. I wouldn't give a full bath every single week unless you have to, usually less is better. Oatmeal baths can help a quilling hedgie though, by soothing their skin & making it easier for quills to come through.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Red face

Oh... thank you! Her first bath went smoothly besides all the poo...... the water my mom set out was to low. But she still had fun!.... But I have another question aside from the subject. She woke up on her own this morning and didn't eat or get a drink, she just stared at me and it was kinda frightening. And when I tried to pet her she just hissed and huffed up, What do I do? And another one, What color is my Cocoa?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

A couple months ago I went away for the weekend for the first time, leaving Piglet with my parents. When I got back he greeted me by coming out of his pouch and staring at me for a full 30 minutes. I like to think it was his way of wagging his tail.

Hedgehogs do tend to sit and stare every now and then for no particular reason. I've noticed that when/if Piglet wakes up during the daytime he's much more likely to huff up. Maybe because it's supposed to be their nighttime and they're groggy and a little disoriented. She's also probably still adjusting to her new home. I wouldn't worry about it.
CocoaTheHedgehog and kuroneko like this.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Ok. So what color is my Cocoa? Ive been trying to ask a lot of times. But it never sends.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Can you get any clear pictures of her? I couldn't quite make out the ones in your album.
CocoaTheHedgehog likes this.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cool

I don't have a fancy cam, but Ill send a picture to my mom and she will send it to my computer . It seems like a better picture, Cocoa's been a bit cranky lately

Old 07-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got a new picture and i'm gonna upload now. It looks kinda blurry but i'm going to try more pictures

Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

I got the picture uploaded. If thats not a good enoguh one. Ill send more. So just tell me

Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Looks like she might be a dark gray.

Tags
bath

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in