Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Several Hibernations
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lilysmommy
Super Moderator

You need to get a thermostat. It'll turn the lamp on & off as needed to keep the temperature steady. They're a requirement for a heat lamp set up unless you're around 24/7 to be able to keep an eye on the temperature and control the lamp.

You also need to get a different bulb. A red light bulb is not good - the light bothers almost all hedgehogs and can prevent them from coming out as much as they normally would at night. They do see the light & it can throw their schedule off quite a bit. You need to get a ceramic heat emitter bulb. They don't give any light off, just heat. I would get a 100-watt one, along with a thermostat. Together, they should do a much better job at keeping your hedgehog's cage temperature steady & at a safe temp, and she'll be on a more normal light schedule as well, with no night-time light.

She'll probably eat tonight, and if she doesn't, I would prepare to syringe feed her tomorrow, just in case. It's normal for them to be a little off after a hibernation attempt though. Just keep her warm and keep an eye on her for tonight. Try to get the new heating supplies as soon as you can - tomorrow or within the next few days. You can get them from pet stores or online. Online is typically cheaper, but you'll have to wait for them to ship too.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote