Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - The quills are falling out!!
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
nessariel

Default Re: The quills are falling out!!

They will never be able to share a cage. If they did share a cage, they would be constantly breeding, then killing the babies. It would be very unpleasant for all involved, including you, and would be very bad for the female's health to continually breed like that. Males and females should be kept apart at all times unless you are trying to breed, and even that should only be done with great thought, care, planning, and a great deal of money saved up for possible medical emergencies. If you do plan on breeding them once she is old enough, I would suggest having a look in the breeding section and reading about all of the possible things that can go wrong and how to prepare for such events.

Also, hedgehogs with an unknown pedigree should never be bred, as they could carry genetic diseases, so unless you got both hedgehogs from a good, trustworthy breeder and you know their pedigree for several generations, they should not be bred.

I hope that I don't sound harsh, I just don't want anything bad to happen to your little hedgies!
nessariel is offline   Reply With Quote