New here and new to hedgies, could use some advice - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile New here and new to hedgies, could use some advice

My guy and I adopted two hedgehogs from the local humane society. Neither of us have had them in the past but I had done lots of research prior to getting them. They didn't know how to properly care for them and they were a mother daughter pair so to adopt them out together we got both hedgies, the wheel, the cage, bowls, water bottles and hide hut for $40. The shelter was doing a special kitty(Walmart brand) cat food and fancy feast mix. Both are loaded in bi products and just overall not good from what I had read. So the first night we switched to a food with 37% protein, 11% fat, and no corn or bi products( I cant remember the name). I have also been mixing wellness brand wet food with it and adding meal worms twice a week. They ate like crazy the first two days. Then we changed from carefresh bedding to fleece liner and added in veggies to the food. They have fleece strips so they feel like they are burrowing but they have slowed down on eating, and they pick around all the veggies or fruit I have tried. Is this a normal reaction to a bedding change? We take them out every day for an hour and they have started to be comfortable enough to walk around and sleep on us after 8 days. Though when they are in the cage they are far less active at night than they were the first two days. One more question, how often should the liner need to be changed and washed for two female relatively clean hedgies? They go on the wheel and that's it. I put a shallow container with bedding under the wheel to catch the urine and droppings, and now the smaller baby is now sleeping on her wheel. Any ideas?
Ashleigh&Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

They could possibly be stressed out by all the change happening so quickly, hence eating less. How old are they both, out of curiosity?

For one hedgie, people usually change liners once a week. You could always start with that, and if it gets smelly or messy, just change it sooner.

Edit: The first night my girl was on her current diet, she ate EVERYTHING in her food bowl. She never does that. So maybe she was just excited because it was yummy new food and she overindulged. Now she's like "oh, same boring food daily, I'll just eat til I'm full." That may be the case with your hogs, too, although maybe not.

Tags
bedding, fleece, fleece liner, liner, new baby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in