Sand - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sand

Personally, I think this is a bad idea and my BF has already forbade it, so I am planning to implement it ASAP.

Snarf's cage is wood covered in arborite; floor is covered in lino or something like it. The wire mesh starts about 2" above the floor...my point is there's a lip going around the whole thing...bear with me...

So...could I put sand (safe sand for terrariums) in half the cage? the other half would remain fleece. I could either put in a 'lip' of some sort to enclose the sand...Have you ever met anyone so horrible at explaining things? When I complain to my mechanic (aka BF) about a noise from my truck, he limits my explanation to front or back? Then he gives me 'the hand'. Jerk. Anyway...

I read that some people put chunks of sod in the cage for hedgies to root around in...if I use something like wheatgrass or sprouts that *I* grow, wouldn't that work? I could get safe dirt, seeds, etc... Catnip? Could I grow stuff like cacti? or wheatgrass in the sand??

Or does this sound like a typical "Cindy Project" - great in theory...in practice...um...not so much...

Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sand

I would be worried about sand getting stuck in his... Ahhn... Wee-wee. I have heard of people growing wheatgrass for them to play around and have thought about it too. Maybe dirt is safer than sand? Not sure though.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Personally I use a Chinchilla bath house filled with sand so it doesn't get all over. Zoomed sand you find in the lizard isle. Just make sure to monitor him and check his boy parts. Cyndaquil loves the sand. He'll flop around in it until he gets tired and then just lay there with his head sticking out lol.

Hedgehog Welfare Society
A 501(c)(3) Organization
www.HedgehogWelfare.org
Telephone (609) 271-5865
Sashalynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I thought I read somewhere about chinichilla sand drying out hedgehog skin?
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

After some research, I'm not going to go with sand. Firstly, I can never get a good look at Snarf's privates (except when he's showing off ) so won't take the chance on sand causing an issues. And the mess factor is just too high...sand on fleece...the more I think about it, the less I like it.

I am going to try to grow some wheatgrass in little trays and once it's an inch tall or so, will see if Snarf shows any interest. Hopefully, if it's a little taller he will dig more bu less dirt will be tracked around. Hopefully?

We'll see...
Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bee

i was curious about the whole wheatgrass thing myself so i googled it. It seems to be really popular with the rat community and i even read an article that mentioned burrying pvc in the dirt and covering it with grass so they have little tunnels. So maybe little snarf could have some fun under it aswell ?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
i was curious about the whole wheatgrass thing myself so i googled it. It seems to be really popular with the rat community and i even read an article that mentioned burrying pvc in the dirt and covering it with grass so they have little tunnels. So maybe little snarf could have some fun under it aswell ?
OMG!!! That's AWEsome...off to Google I go...THANKS!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bee

No problem! Maybe it will make him a little less grumpy and he'll give you a little less huffiness
Old 02-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Question about Snarf's rock garden MissC...

I was thinking about making one for Holden. He is a big boy and could use the exercise searching for kibble. My only concern is..does Snarf ever use it as the litter box? How does he distinguish between the two? And what is the aquarium gravel in? Thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

He's litter trained and has never used anything 'cept his litterpan...bless his little soul...the odd pieces go flying off his wheel (he runs 5 miles an hours sometimes ).

I used a large pet dish...if you saw the pic of Snarf sitting on the edge of food dish with his butt hanging out - same dish just bigger. It's about 7" across. I had been using a clay plate (that goes under clay plant pots) cuz I heard they're good for keeping nails trim and he loved this one, too. I just figured I could give him more gravel in this new pot. I hide/bury dried fruit (apples, mango, apricot) and he digs like a madman to get them.

He's so funny cuz at 11pm he seems to go on a recon mission: he wheels for a minute; eats for a minute; does laps for a minute and, finally, parks his butt on the edge of his rock garden and sniffs & digs around for a minute - doesn't eat anything - it's like he's checking for later. Then he goes to bed and gets up a couple hours later. In the AM all food is gone.

Some ideas/tips: higher sides are a bit better but the gravel is really easy to clean up. I use smaller stuff - no idea what size??? or how to explain??? Once a week, I rinse if in a mesh strainer and dry it thoroughly before putting it back. I tried putting mealies in there, too, and they did well: food and could burrow - but every morning they would still be there. Snarf usually goes crazy for mealies so not sure why he ignored those...?? I tried black gravel (am using lime green now) but Snarf wouldn't go near it. He took one step, just once, to get a mealie, then took a wide detour around it. It seemed like he thought it was a hole?? So, lime green it is. The rougher the surface without it being TOO rough, the better, I think (his pet bowl has a matte finish, so isn't smooth and glossy)...clay plates are $2 or so and work quite well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in