What if she eats the litter? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What if she eats the litter?

This is the first time I'm doing this and I havent put her litter box in yet, but I'm going to today. Sookie likes to investigate new things by trying to eat them (she did it with her bedding). I got the Fresh Step crystal litter and I'm worried she'll eat it. Will it hurt her? Probably not I'm guessing if she ate a piece of bedding and came out ok.

And I know this is on here a bunch of times but I cant find the right post. Can anyone either give me any advice on how to teach her to use the litter or steer me in the right direction with a link?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kenzi
Default Re: What if she eats the litter?

I don't believe that is a safe hedgie litter.

It's pure chemicals.. does it say anything about cats ingesting it?

The most recommended litter for hedgies is "yesterdays news" a recycled newspaper pellet type.

You can also try just putting a paper towel in the litter pan.

Most people put the litter pan under the wheel, as it will catch the waste and encourage them to go there. It also helps to put other poo from around the cage in the pan too. Some hedgies catch on, others don't.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Please do not use that litter in the litter box. Use a paper towel. I wouldn't recommend yesterday's news because you say that your hedgehog tends to eat things. What type of bedding are you using for the cage? did she eat very much of it or just nibble it to see if it was food?

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

According to the FreshStep website, this is what's in their litter:

Fresh Step® Clay contains a high-quality clay, fragrance and borates. Fresh Step® Scoopable contains odor-eliminating carbon, bentonite clay, limestone, fragrance and borates. Fresh Step® Crystals is made from silica gel, a porous substance that quickly traps liquid and then allows it to evaporate, and a fragrance. Fresh Step® Plus Dual Action Crystals® combines scoopable clay with an odor locking mineral crystal.

Firstly, the clay is an issue as it can be dusty and may stick to <ahem> sensitive private parts. I don't know much about the other ingerdients, but limestone can harm the lungs in humans and we don't tend to roll around and dig in it. And the fragrance can be an issue - it's usually fairly strong - imagine having your nose buried in a container of air fresheners.

I use Yesterday's News but Snarf doesn't eat anything but but cat food. I would do what hedgielover suggested and use a paper towel. Just to be safe.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kenzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
According to the FreshStep website, this is what's in their litter:

Fresh Step® Clay contains a high-quality clay, fragrance and borates. Fresh Step® Scoopable contains odor-eliminating carbon, bentonite clay, limestone, fragrance and borates. Fresh Step® Crystals is made from silica gel, a porous substance that quickly traps liquid and then allows it to evaporate, and a fragrance. Fresh Step® Plus Dual Action Crystals® combines scoopable clay with an odor locking mineral crystal.

Firstly, the clay is an issue as it can be dusty and may stick to <ahem> sensitive private parts. I don't know much about the other ingerdients, but limestone can harm the lungs in humans and we don't tend to roll around and dig in it. And the fragrance can be an issue - it's usually fairly strong - imagine having your nose buried in a container of air fresheners.

I use Yesterday's News but Snarf doesn't eat anything but but cat food. I would do what hedgielover suggested and use a paper towel. Just to be safe.
FYI, as stated in Ipercz's original post, she uses the crystal style. It's not clay based. But I think its also not good for Hedgies, as it is completely artificial/chemical based.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

According to the website, it has clay as well.

I used it for a cat in the past...that's how I know how strong it smells.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have cats too, I know how it smells (good). Right now I just cut up newspaper. I'll get the Yesterdays News once she gets the hang of it.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpercz
I have cats too, I know how it smells (good). Right now I just cut up newspaper. I'll get the Yesterdays News once she gets the hang of it.

Thanks guys!
Some hedgies have been known to eat Yesterday's News...just so ya know...and it can be quite serious as it can cause severe constipation? I think? No wonder when my BF disappears with the newspaper the bathroom is occupied for so long.

Snarf proudly only eats very expensive and hard-to-find cat food, so worrying he was going to eat something cheap like YN wasn't an issue. Rotter.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hmm, maybe for now I'll just stick with the cut newspaper. Its free and she wont eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgielover
What type of bedding are you using for the cage? did she eat very much of it or just nibble it to see if it was food?
I use Care Fresh for her bedding and she just nibbled it to see what it was. She hasnt done it since that time. In her cage I use kiln dried wood pellet things. I forgot the brand but I checked and its ok for her. She hasnt eaten that though. Maybe because she poops on it? I dont know her thinking process. But now I'm worried she has mites and I'll have to get rid of her house and those pellets. I read that sometimes bedding nd shavings of whatever sort can carry mites, although, usually kiln dried doesnt. I dont know.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Newspaper is not the best litter because it is not absorbent. But if it is working I'm not aware of any safety issue with having it in the litter box (unless the ink is dangerous?). If she just nibbled the care fresh and didn't actually eat it you might not have a problem with yesterday's news or other bedding. It is always a risk though.

My understanding with the care fresh and wood shavings is that while in the pet store the packages come in contact with mites and that is how they get mites in them. This would happen after the kiln dried process so the wood pellets being kiln dried would not make a difference to them having mites or not. My understanding is that while you are undergoing mites treatments you cannot have anything wood in the cage because no matter how many mites on the hedgehog that you kill with the treatment as soon as you put hedgie back in the cage the mites in the wood will go onto hedgie. Once your hedgehog has mites you have to throw out the wood stuff.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in