Thank you forum! Fleece liners FTW! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rubydissolution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Thank you forum! Fleece liners FTW!

When I adopted Demi I was told to use kaytee fresh and cozy. It made SUCH A MESS!! White strips everywhere!! When I found this site I read about the fleece liners and immediately said "no I can't" simply because I don't have access to a washing machine and couldn't wash those regularly. However, in a recent trip to Walmart I found fleece blankets for the low low price of $2.88. I bought 5 of them! Instead of cutting them, I folded them into quarters which fit the base of Demi's cage perfectly. The cage is now easier to clean, and I can flip the liner over and get a few more days out of it when it gets a little dirty. Best of all, Demi is now sleeping in her pouch and not under it. She also seems more active. Also, because I switched to liners I was able to put another dish in her cage for water. She definitely prefers that to the water bottle, though we did leave that in her cage for when she drinks all of the water out of the dish at night. She's a thirsty critter after all that running.

So! Thanks!
DesertHedgehogs and Aether like this.
rubydissolution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Win!!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome! Fleece liners are great, I'm so happy I decided to use them too. But that's a great idea to flip them when they get dirty (and it's so obvious, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that haha)!

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hi, I know it's an old post but I wonder what about the smell? Im using pet sheets and after few days and only spot cleaning it starts to smell... Is that the pee smell?

I wonder if using the same blanket even folded after getting dirty won't start smelling badly after short time?
Nati is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

After a few days it does smell a little, that's when I flip the blanket or change it completely.
rubydissolution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bonus too--if you have a bunch of liners, save them up until you have a full load for the washing machine to save on laundry.

Sure, the initial cost may be a little bit more, but really, they don't wear out or anything.

You can also use scraps of fleece--my Nara has placemats so that I can shake off the food crumbs or replace if the water spills. LOL-she has never spilled her water, but I have.
If they always potty in the same place, add an extra layer, so that you can just switch it out--I use a baby diaper changing pad under the litterbox. (Pet ones are usually scented--a big no-no)
Also you can make a doormat, so any poop on the feet gets wiped off before they go into their bed.
You can always find remnants at JoAnne's for really cheap--sometimes they are on sale--and they always have coupons.

ML
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I bought a $5 tote with a lid, I just put the yuck ones in there to hold the smell until I have a full load of hedgie laundry. And Wal-Mart has there bolts of fleece on clearance sometimes for like $1-$3 a yard, it's usually highly ugly fleece, but my hedgies don't care what color the fleece the poop on is!

Mommy to Petunia, Penelope, Rue, and still to be named. RIP Gunther
Popple321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fleece liner, happy hedgehog, thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in