Carefresh bedding - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Carefresh bedding

I'm sorry if this has been asked, or is a repost, but the search function isn't really working for me today. I cleaned Rocco's cage this weekend, and decided to change his bedding from shredded fleece/fabric, to Carefresh Ultra bedding. My husband just texted and told me that he was trying to eat it last night after I went to bed. Is this a safe bedding for him? Can it kill him? I'll switch it out after work if it'll harm my little guy, but just wanted to know first. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Carefresh bedding

If he's trying to eat it, it may be better to switch back to fabric. If they swallow any, it can cause compactions.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's what I was worried about :-\ Is it common for them to do that? He was chewing on his fleece strips also, but obviously couldn't swallow them. I'm really starting to think he may be slightly 'special'. Some of his actions just don't seem normal. But at the same time, don't really know all the normal actions of them. He didn't sleep in the bedding last night either. He just tried to eat it and my husband kept trying to get him to stop. I guess it made him afraid of the material or something because he slept in his tunnel from the upper to lower level (he was still there this morning).

Old 05-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes, there's been other people who have tried using Carefresh and had their hedgies try eating it. Sometimes it's just a taste test and they never touch it again, but if they continue to try and eat it, it's safest to switch them off from the paper bedding. At least the fleece won't shred or be easy for him to swallow.
I was trying to think of some things you could put in his cage if he likes to chew his bedding, but I'm not really sure...Maybe someone else will come with some suggestions. However, his unusual actions might just be hedgie quirks. They're funny little animals, and they all have very different personalities. It makes it fun to read some of the stories people share on here!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

He is DEFINETLY quirky. Good lord. Even after reading some of the stuff on here, I didn't think much of it until we actually got him lol. They are like little clowns
Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Carefresh is a good small animal bedding I love it for my mice! but it doesn't seem to work for hedgehogs most of it is too dusty, they eat it, it can dry their skin out. Out of curiosity why did you decide to change bedding?

Also when you say fleece and fabric scraps do you mean that you cut up a whole bunch of fleece strips and put them in the cage or are you using liner? If you ever use any other fabric other than fleece make sure that the edges cannot fray and there are no exposed seems. You wouldn't want a little toe to get stuck in any loops of fabric.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgielover
Carefresh is a good small animal bedding I love it for my mice! but it doesn't seem to work for hedgehogs most of it is too dusty, they eat it, it can dry their skin out. Out of curiosity why did you decide to change bedding?

Also when you say fleece and fabric scraps do you mean that you cut up a whole bunch of fleece strips and put them in the cage or are you using liner? If you ever use any other fabric other than fleece make sure that the edges cannot fray and there are no exposed seems. You wouldn't want a little toe to get stuck in any loops of fabric.
More or less just wanted to see how the carefresh would work. Did end up taking it out though since he wasn't sleeping in it anyways, just really trying to eat it. I've got fleece down as a liner in the main cage, as well as the little condo area. In that area, it's a sheet cut up, but it's mainly some leftover fleece strips that were cut up to give up a little extra something. There are no seams, or loops that I notice. Should I change that out as well though? I've noticed though that lately, when I leave for work in the morning and when I come home, he curls up in the corner behind his wheel, and goes under the fleece. I don't have two corners of the fleece secured down (there's more fabric under that though that is velcroed down, with papertowels under that layer). Should I secure it all down?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sometimes they just like to be weird about where they sleep. Artemis has 2 Sterilite bins linked together--one for a wheel and food, the other for her igloo and toys. She's got plenty of room, lots of fleece to play in and build hedgehogs nests in her bedroom, but where do I find her most mornings? Under the fleece liner right next to her litter box and wheel. I used to tape it down so she couldn't make a mess of her water and food getting under the liner, but I recently cut the liner so she has a fleece "placemat" for her food and can get under the liner without making a mess.

Maybe you can see if your hedgehog likes low ceilings? Some of my hedgehogs like sleeping in Triscuit boxes, but don't like the bigger Kleenex boxes I put in. I think they just like being weird!

Hedgehog mom to Zeus, Aries, Artemis, Pepper, Bonnie, Bridget, Athena, and Clover.

"So many things are possible just as long as you don't know they're impossible." The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
rainbowcookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

a cut up sheet is not safe to have in the cage unless all edges have been double hemmed. Sheets fray and have loose strings that happen alot, which is dangerous as your hedgie can get a thread wrapped around toes, legs etc...which will cut off the blood supply. For safety only use fleece strips in the cage.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

The fabric doesn't have any loose ends. I'm not sure what type of fabric it is, but it has the same edges that the fleece does when cut. We haven't had a problem yet, but am going to redo the entire thing after we move in two weeks. Going to have to get more fleece anyways since it's a colder climate (Florida to Tennessee).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in