hedgehog doesnt try to go under fleece liner? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hedgehog doesnt try to go under fleece liner?

Im about to line Atoms cage with some nice fleece, I was looking around here for some examples of how others do it and i noticed most owners just "lay" the fleece down in the cage and thats it..doesnt your hedgie try to go under it right away and mess the whole thing up?...i was thinking i was gonna have to use some type of Velcro to keep it down but from the looks of it no one really has that issue?

im just worried if he gets under there hes gonna flip his bowl of water and food over and make a huge mess
crazyjoezx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: hedgehog doesnt try to go under fleece liner?

Out of the 8 that we have, Artemis is the only one who trashes her house and rearranges her liner to sleep under it. Her dishes are ceramic, so they hold down the corners, but she still gets under there. I've been using painter's tape or masking tape to tape the fleece to the side of the Sterilite bin. She doesn't mess with it. I have heard of others using velcro.

Your hedgehog might not mess with it at all, either! I give our hedgehogs fleece scraps for blankets and put them in a hidey hut or igloo or hedgebag so they can dig around in fleece scraps or hide under a hedgehog-sized blanket if they want.

Hedgehog mom to Zeus, Aries, Artemis, Pepper, Bonnie, Bridget, Athena, and Clover.

"So many things are possible just as long as you don't know they're impossible." The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
rainbowcookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Most people use something to hold down the edges like a smooth clean rock or the hedgehogs furniture. Some say that tape and velcro are hazards so think carefully before using those options. Some days Quigley goes under his liner others he does not. I don't mind. If he likes sleeping directly on the plastic bottom of the cage I'm not going to try and stop him. He rarely knocks over the water dish while doing this. For me it's no big deal to wipe down the cage the rare time he makes a mess of it (doing it daily might be different) it's still a whole lot easier than scooping out bedding.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have the liner stop at the edge of the dishes area. So he can be standing on the liner while eating but when he burrows under the liner it doesn't upturn the dishes. Have it just an inch or so away so it doesn't flop down into the water dish, that's annoying when it siphons out the water. I also pile up fleece strips on top of the liner and another blanket. This doesn't always help but sometimes he'll stay on top of the liner but under the strips and blanket.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Breeders

I use small landscaping rocks to hold down my liners,bought them at lowes this winter at the clearance price of 28 cents each.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's a steal, Larry, its just short of sticking them in your coat pockets! I'll have to watch for that as I want some for my pond.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in