Liners & bags patterns? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Liners & bags patterns?

Hi guys,
I was wondering if you guys could help me out.. I need patterns (or lots of pointers ) for making hedgie bags, liners and maybe hats when I get more practice! Help? Thanks guys!
lucky18ea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bengall77
Default Re: Liners & bags patterns?

For bags I used a sheet of computer paper as the pattern.

1. Double up the fabric so that you have a crease on one of the longer sides of your computer paper. Cut out the other three sides.
2. Repeat (or layer) so that you have two or three layers of fabric. Flannel and quilter's cotton (or any high thread count cotton) are good materials to make bags out of.
3. Next, you sew all of the layers together (wrong side out) leaving about 6 inches of open space somewhere on the bag (I recommend the middle of any side, and not a corner).
4. Turn the bag right side out, pin the opening, and sew. Make sure to double or triple reinforce the closing so that you can clip the thread close without it unraveling.
5. Fold the bag in half and sew the two sides up. This makes a durable bad that can't be pulled out by a digging hedgehog.

For liners, simply measure the inside dimensions of the bottom of you cage and add 1/2" (or more if you like to sew with a larger seam allowance) to the length and width for seam allowance. Measure, cut, and sew just like the bags. For liners I recommend 2 layers of flannel or 3-4 layers of cotton.

Or you could go with a no-sew option for liners. Simply cut fleece fabric to the right size (no seam allowance) and layer it in the cage. There's no need to sew because it won't have any loose threads and it won't unravel.
Bengall77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Liners & bags patterns?

For liners I decide how many layers Im going to use and the dimentions. I add an extra inch to the length and width to accommodate a 1/2 seam allowance. I take the fabric I want on the back and lay it with the good side facing up, then I take the one I want to be the fabric on top and place it so the good side is facing down, then I take my middle layer and put it on top (doesn't matter which side is facing up or down cause its not going to be seen). Once I have it layered I pick a spot in the middle of a side and start sewing 1/2" from the side and I leave a space about 4" not sewn so that I can turn it the right way, I hand stitch the 4 inches closed once its turned and I fix the corners (sometimes it helps to cut some of the excess off the corners seam allowance so that the corners look better when turned the right way..be careful not to cut too close to the thread or it will rip out easily). For finishing I make sure the tension is set right on the machine so that there is no loose threads sticking up for the hedgie to get a toe nail snagged on and I sew an inch from the sides all away around to secure everything in place.

For my Hedgies sleeping bags I cut 4 12"squares. I take a square you want as your outside fabric and lay it down right side facing up, I take another square you want as your outside fabric and put it right side down, I take one you want as an inside fabric and put it right side facing up, and I take another one you want as an inside fabric and put it right side facing down. I bring it over to my machine and sew three sides with a 1/4 seam allowance and then when Im turning it I take the bottom layer and turn it over. This makes the whole thing seamless so there isn't anything your hedgie can catch a toenail on. Now there is the opening on the forth side. For finishing I roll this over 1/4", then roll it again 1/2" then I blind heam it all away around by hand. You can roll it whatever way you want depending on the look. I find by rolling it like this it makes the opening stiffer and makes it easier for my hedgie to get in an out with little effort.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in