Switched to fleece liners - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Switched to fleece liners

Well it's been one week and I think this is going to be permanent. Both the hedgies seem to like it too and I think it is more aestetically pleasing not to mention all the other reasons I learned from this site that made me want to try it in the first place. Well let me rephrase that, it looks nice... except in the mornings! Obviously after a night of running around on their wheel and eating and exploring, their cages are disasters in the morning! But a strategically placed folded paper towel gets about 90% of the messes so it is super easy cleanup. The last 2 nights Huff has decided he likes to sleep under the liners in his igloo. It is so funny, he "burrows" until he gathers about half the top liner inside his igloo (along with lots of strips in their already) Oh well, his food and water dishes keep him from getting the whole thing under their, I may try a heavy rock or something in the corner, but its not too big a deal. But its been nice to be able to search on here and get such great advice. I have had friends over in the evenings and everyone comments about how there is no smell and they didn't know that hedgies were such fastidious little pets! Well maybe Puff our female is but Huff is definitely a little piggy! But I was surprised that the smell wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, really what smells the worst are the wheels so once those are clean (and poopy boots are rinsed off) there is barely any odor.
Well sorry for such a long post, yes I am becoming an obsessed hedgie lover already.....
olamina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Switched to fleece liners

I have one that goes through cycles of going under her liner. I started adding pieces of fleece, cut into varying sizes, and throwing them all into an igloo for her. So far, she has stopped going under the liner when she feels the need to nest/burrow.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have been using the liners for a few weeks now. Egon loves him and seems to be a tad bit cleaner with them too. I use the scrap fleeces for inside his igloo and he loves it. The best part is the smell is not as bad and it is MUCH easier to scoop up their messes.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Depending on how you have your cage setup it can become very easy to keep their cages very clean. I have found that you have to allow your hedgehog time to settle with the new "digs" and really get to know what works and doesn't with that hedgehog. For example, with Cooper I have special liners just for his cage.

I have ferret nation cages with bass equipment pans on the bottom. I use a 3 liner system in all my cages. The first is what I call a pan liner, it fits across the entire cage. Then I place 2 liners on top of that, each are half the cages size. Usually only 1 of those half size liners has anything on it (the liner that is under the wheel). I take out the wheel, take out the liner and shake all the poop into a trash can. I usually then replace it with a fresh half liner to keep the urine build up in the cage down.

I'm going to try to attach an image of Cooper's cage to show what I'm trying to describe. I was in the middle of changing his cage out when I took the picture, his wheel was being washed, but you can see where there is space for it. I also didn't have his blanket in his cuddle bed, he was using it. For him the "top" liner under his wheel is actually a bit short. He likes to burrow under it at night (igloo trick doesn't work) and will spill his water. Instead of trying to make him not go under it, I found that if I used a shorter liner for him he can burrow and not spill his water (he doesn't go under the pan liner) and we both are happy.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

I use separate white liners under the wheel, on a cookie sheet. Just a suggestion instead of disposing of paper towels. These liners get changed out each day but are smaller, leaving the rest of the cage liner in place. Then I only change the entire cage once a week unless there was a special situation. Oh and I also use a placemat under food and water dish, this makes it easier to fold up, dump off crumbs instead of changing entire cage liner. They have not burrowed under the placemat. (surprising huh!) It does help.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was thinking about doing that, having seperate smaller liners for under the wheel. Have to give it a try now. Also having a little placemat under the food dishes does totally help with huff not getting the whole entire liner under his igloo. Last night I made a little hat out of fleece for Puff since she prefers hats instead of an igloo. She has been using an old patagonia fleece hat of mine that I never wear (spoiled Hedgie lol) They use their hammocks too, although they are using them less and less since i changed over to the liners. That really leads me to believe the bedding must not have been very comfy to them since the hammocks were the only sleeping area up off the beddng floor. Anyway I really have enjoyed the liners so far and I am glad because it will save so much money in the long run. I got 6 yards for about 20 bucks.... and only used about 4 yards to make 16 liners, blankies, scraps for burrowing, and a hat for Puff. One bag of Carefresh that would last 2-3 weeks costs that much!
olamina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in