Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Liners & Cage bedding (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   liner question (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3348)

javi 10-17-2009 04:53 PM

liner question

i am curious. i see that people sew many layers of stuff for the liners. i am going to order the bigger cage in the next few days. i will be making the liners myself. is there something wrong with using a single layer. or should i sew a towel underneath. seems to be alot of conflicting info

Kalandra 10-17-2009 05:17 PM

Re: liner question

You can do either. I used to use a single layer with a layer of paper towels underneath. The problem with a single layer is that you need something to soak up urine or spilled water. Once I moved to a 3 layer (flannel/fleece/flannel) liner I didn't need the paper towel any longer.

LarryT 10-18-2009 12:31 AM

I use a single liner for all of my hedgies but i do change them every morning ;)

FiaSpice 10-18-2009 09:35 AM

I just made 3 layers liner and they are great. The core is fleece and the outside is cotton (more medium weight) and it absobs really well. Plus it's "stiff" so I don't find the liner in the water bowl.

Nancy 10-18-2009 09:58 AM

As someone who has made and sold liners for years and used them with probably 100 or more hedgehogs, I can say with experience that triple thickness liners are the best all round. They absorb best, keep the smell away the best, and because of the thickness are less likely to get pulled into a water dish. Although some determined hedgehogs will still crawl under them, I have far more sleeping under and dragging around issues with single layer fleece.

javi 10-18-2009 02:22 PM

ok i am a little confused about what ya mean when ya say cotton layers. are ya referring to a regular layer or fabric or are they thick layers of cotton fabric like the fleece. and i see using the fleece with layers of other types of material. what about using two layers of fleece. since fleece is thick wouldnt that be the most absorbant. sorry if i am a little confused

FiaSpice 10-18-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javi
ok i am a little confused about what ya mean when ya say cotton layers. are ya referring to a regular layer or fabric or are they thick layers of cotton fabric like the fleece. and i see using the fleece with layers of other types of material. what about using two layers of fleece. since fleece is thick wouldnt that be the most absorbant. sorry if i am a little confused

I made a mistake in my post, it was meant to read 3 layers. I use cotton on the outside just because the fleece inside make a lot of fuzz I don't want my hedgie to eat or getting caught in their spines.

javi 10-18-2009 07:49 PM

cool. i am going to hit the fabric store this week i hope and have my sister show me how to sew. though i do not expect it to be too difficult.

hedgielover 10-18-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javi
cool. i am going to hit the fabric store this week i hope and have my sister show me how to sew. though i do not expect it to be too difficult.

haha. I hate sewing. Although I do not have a machine and do everything by hand. But lets just say it is not as easy as it looks. But who knows you might be a natural! :D

Kalandra 10-19-2009 10:48 AM

The sewing part is fairly easy (for me anyway). I get more annoyed from cutting the rectangles of fabric out!