switching to liners - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default switching to liners

Hello everyone. I am new here to the forum. I want to say that the forum is a Godsend for people looking to purchase their first hedgehog. I have spent countless hours doing my research so that I know I will be doing everything right when I get my little one.
That being said, ............. I will be aquiring a hedgehog soon and I had a question about the bedding. I know the baby I am getting is going to be bedded on kiln dried pine shavings but I want to use liners. Is there some sort of transition period for the switching? I do not want to upset it. I want to make sure that I am doing everything right to keep the little one happy and healthy. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
fluteman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: switching to liners

Welcome to HHC!

When you get your hedgie, you can put him straight onto the liners. S/he will probably be happy with the change. If you want to offer digging opportunities (that's pretty much the only plus to shavings) you can cut up a bunch of fleece and put it in the igloo/sleeping area.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok, Great. I will do that. Thanks Lizzard Girl!!! If I have anymore questions I will be sure to post them.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi and welcome to HHC. I have my hedgehogs for 3.5 months. I switched from paper bedding to liners about a month or so ago and I love them. Everything is much cleaner and I save them up in a garbage bag until I have a full load to wash.

You didn't ask but I was taught here at HHC to wash the liners in Tide Free Unscented detergent and use a unscented fabric softener. I am using Bounce unscented fabric softener sheet in the dryer. Everything comes out nice and clean. I wash on the warm cycle, not hot and dry on permanent press.

I cut the liners to the size of the cage and use two one on top of the other with another smaller piece under the front of the wheel. I can flip eveything over to the clean side but the liners go for more than two days without being too soiled even if I don't flip them. I change the liners as needed and go a complete cage wipe once per week. I wash the wheels as needed. Once in a great while the wheels can go two days.

I also used smaller pieces of the fleece to stuff into the igloos to make them warm and cozy.

Let us know how it goes.
hedgewawa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you Hedgewawa for your advice. I think I remember reading something about using the unscented detergents and fabric softeners, but had forgotten until you mentioned it. I am going to go to the store and get a bunch of different light colored fabrics to make the liners. I am also getting some fleece to cut into strips to make the digging material for the igloo. I am going to try my hand a making some other things like hedgie tents, but being a crafter's worst nightmare, we'll see how that goes I cant wait to get my little one!!! I am hoping it is soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in